This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Move over Love Island, here comes Dated and Related

By now, most of us have probably heard of Love Island. Since its release in 2015, the popular unscripted, romantic comedy dating show has since sparked a variation of spin-offs such as Too Hot To Handle, Fboy Island and Bachelor in Paradise. But it doesn’t stop there. As of September 2nd, 2022, Netflix released a new, steamy dating show called Dated and Related. I know what you’re thinking. No, this isn’t a show for siblings who want to get together. The reality show Dated and Related spotlights eight sibling pairs who must wingman or wingwoman their brother/sister to help them find love. This new concept makes it subject to review, further posing the question; is Dated and Related worth the watch?

Tropical scenery, villa-style living, chiseled bodies and picture perfect faces, blah blah blah. Yes, we’ve seen it a hundred times before, but something about that combination always seems to draw viewers back. And I can attest that I am that viewer. Despite the undeniable similarities, Dated and Related does offer a new spin on the traditional dating show.  Unlike Love Island where the contestants must market themselves, Dated and Related requires sibling pairs to work in teams to help any potential partners see the value in their sibling. The teamwork component surprisingly brings a somewhat wholesome component into the typically drama-filled villa. This may be good for viewers who typically stray away from reality television because of the petty drama-filled nature.

Don’t be fooled. Some wholesome teamwork won’t get rid of the competition aspect of the show. They are there to find love after all (and to hopefully make their pockets a stack or two denser). For those who live for the unexpected turns, truths and tortures of reality television, Dated and Related doesn’t shy away. With heated eliminations, vulnerable exercises and awkward conversations, the show definitely takes you on an emotional rollercoaster.

After just finishing season three of Too Hot to Handle, I was in search of a new reality television show to watch. Honestly, I don’t think I would have been able to sit through the same “love-crazed-vulture” style show again. Dated and Related offers a much-needed spin off of the traditional unscripted dating show. The aspect of teamwork creates a more wholesome experience as well as presents a different dynamic (siblings) to consider. As a self-proclaimed reality show expert, this show brings a new and fresh spin to dating shows and for that reason I declare Dated and Related worth the watch.