alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Dangerous Side of that Summer Suntan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Summer is just around the corner and I’m sure most of us are hoping it’ll be Spring Break 2.0; day-drinking, beach parties, and laying out perfecting your tan. While over-consumption of alcohol has its own problems, I’m here to explain the dangerous side of that summer suntan and why you need to protect your skin.

I’m sure you’ve been told before – tanning is dangerous – but do you know why? The sun’s rays are basically mutating your skin cells and the resulting tan is actually a protection mechanism! According to The Skin Cancer Foundation, “When unprotected skin is overexposed to UVR, DNA is damaged; a tan is the skin’s attempt to prevent further damage by creating a wall of darker pigment. Damage that has already occurred can lead to changes (mutations) in skin cell DNA.”  

Your skin has several layers including the outermost layer, the epidermis, and beneath that, the dermis. UV rays penetrate these layers, destroying the collagen, elastin, and tissues that keep your face taught and youthful, ultimately causing wrinkles. Because your skin naturally stops producing collagen and elastin in your mid-twenties, you need to do as much as you can now to protect your skin against premature aging. Yes, that means using sunscreen, unless you want to look like Donatella Versace. Jokes have been made that her “leathery skin is used to make Versace hand bags.”

Have I mentioned cancer yet? The sun’s rays not only cause premature aging, but increase your risk of skin cancer. Melanoma, one of the most deadly forms of skin cancer, is a common consequence of over-exposure and sunburn. According to The Skin Cancer Foundation, “about 86% of melanomas can be attributed to exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun.”

You can still get cancer even if you don’t burn. Developing non-melanoma forms of skin cancer are also very possible realities of sun exposure over many years – AKA tanning. Of non-melanoma skin cancers, The Skin Cancer Foundation states that “about 90%… are associated with exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun.”

So if you’re intentionally damaging your skin – *ahem* tanning – ask yourself this: Why? Presumably because “being tan looks better,” but to who? Is it worth the damage to your skin cells just to look “prettier?” Look at all these beautiful, porcelain-skinned women and tell me they’re too pale, I dare you.

And even if you’re not tanning for superficial appearance-based reasons, the “I’m only tanning to absorb my daily dose of Vitamin D!” argument isn’t a good excuse either. Vitamin D is important for bone growth and while it can be absorbed from the sun, that’s not the only way to gain its benefits. Although this vitamin isn’t found naturally in most foods, many things we eat are now fortified with it – not to mention your daily multivitamin probably offers you 200% of the daily value – so I doubt you’re suffering a Vitamin D deficiency. So again I ask, why are you tanning!?!

With any luck I’ve made it clear that whether you tan or burn, the sun’s effect on your skin is far more than cosmetic, and hopefully that scares some sense into you. Protecting your skin means you’ll look younger longer, you won’t increase your risk of skin cancer, you won’t have to slather on aloe on a gross, peeling burn, and I promise being “pale” won’t make you any less attractive. And hey, who knows, maybe you’ll actually be more appealing to Edward Cullen and other vampires (Damon Salvatore, anyone!?)!

Here’s a few simple things you can do this summer to help protect your skin!

1.    Make putting on sunscreen part of your daily routine. And apply it often, especially if you’re in and out of the water!

2.    Invest in a broad-rimmed hat like these. They look classy and offer a lot of protection for your face and shoulders! 

3.    If you’re prone to sunburns, wear a rash guard instead of a skimpy triangle bikini. There’s actually a ton of really cute options – seriously, look at these

4.    Avoid being in the direct sunlight when UV rays are strongest from 10am-2pm.

5.    And if you’re desperate for that sun-kissed glow, check out these self-tanners

For more information about the sun and its effects on your skin, check out these pages on The Skin Care Foundation’s website:

http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/skin-cancer-facts

http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/sunburn/facts-about-sunburn-and-skin-cancer

http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/sun-protection/prevention-guidelines/preventing-skin-cancer

Lily R. Hansen, a 2017 UW-Madison graduate, served as a managing editor of the HC Wisconsin chapter beginning her sophomore year. An avid reader and writer, Lily also has a passion for live music and breakfast foods.  
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!