A College Student’s Christmas List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Growing up one of the most exciting parts of the holiday season was writing a Christmas wish list and sending it off to the North Pole for Santa.  In college however, the format of this wish list switches to either a text or email to your parents.  The content of the sacred Christmas wish list has also changed from the latest toy that you thought your parents would never get you to more practical things. 

Here is a list of the essentials to add to your wish list this year:

Socks

No matter how careful you are, you somehow lose at least one sock each time you do laundry.  While the explanation of this phenomenon is still unexplained, the consequence is that you never have enough socks.

Some kind of gift card

A gift card is the easiest gift to ask for from those distant relatives who will somehow find the ugliest present for you if you don’t specifically tell them what you want.  Plus, you can’t say no to Starbucks or Chipotle when someone else is technically buying it.

A Router

Everyone knows how slow ResNet is. So to overcome this problem, ask Mom and Dad for a router to bypass the slow Internet, and enjoy consistently streaming Netflix or figure out how the Student Center works with less hassle.

Cash/Check

Who doesn’t like receiving a hot bill from the ATM of any denomination (although a $20 or above is ideal)?  The glorious gift of cash gives you the unparalleled freedom to decide for yourself where and when to spend it.  You could be responsible and put it in the bank, but that’s really no fun.

Netflix Account

Have your parents contribute to your procrastination by asking for a subscription to Netflix!  Luckily, this gift will come after finals are over, so you’re on your own finding ways to procrastinate for those.

Winter Apparel

It’s no secret that Wisconsin winters are cold and long, but a nice new pair of mittens or a thick, knit scarf can make it a little more bearable.  Bonus points if they’re homemade!

Noise Cancelling Headphones

These are great if you can’t find a spot in the quiet section of the library or if your roommate decides she wants to learn how to play the bagpipes.

A Massage

After finals and gluing yourself to an uncomfortable chair in College, a sore neck is inevitable.  Relieve the tension of finals and (hopefully not) the grades you got on your finals by laying naked in a room while a stranger touches you.

Badger Gear

Because let’s be honest, you can never have enough.

While these presents may not seem as exciting as a brand new Xbox or an iPhone, you’ll be thanking your parents when you unwrap any of these presents to get you through the rough winter ahead.

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!