College Friendships as Told by Meredith Grey and Cristina Yang

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Grey’s Anatomy has taught us about love, foreign diseases and how to handle freak accidents (plane crashes, bombs in bodies, more plane crashes…). Most importantly, Grey’s has shown us a perfect friendship through Meredith and Cristina. 

1.     There’s nothing scarier than move-in day and realizing that once your parents leave, you’re friendless among 40,000 other people.

2.     You probably won’t be friends with your first roommate, or the girl in the floor bathroom, or the one who shares a same hometown as you

3.     Perhaps your best friendships will be formed in line for the (really good) meatloaf at Gordon’s

4.     Or, maybe you’ll meet them on your first day of lab

5.     However you may find your person, we can guarantee it won’t be who you thought it would have been

6.     Because people grow throughout college

7.     And friendships change

8.     And sometimes, the friends we thought we could never live without, become the friends that are fun for a drink

9.     Or a night of dancing

10. But they will never be the person who will hold your hair back while you puke

11. Or remind you of what you were meant to do

12. Or help you nurse your broken heart

13. Or make you a Tinder

14. Instead, the friendships that will become most important, are the ones that will let you complain about professors

15. And listen to you cry over your cramps

16. And still sit near you even when you haven’t showered in weeks

17. But they’ll never tell you to shut up

18. Instead, they’ll buy you more food and love you no matter what

19. Because through everything hard in college, they’re the ones that get to grow with you

20. They’re the ones that can sympathize with homesickness

21. Understand the trials and tribulations of being broke AF

22. Spend too many nights studying, and not enough nights drinking (or vice versa…)

23. And when college finally wraps up, it won’t matter what grad school is calling your name, or which city has the perfect job for you

24. Because you know that no matter what day of the week it is or how far away you may be, when you need a familiar face, their door is always open

25. After all, they’re your person. 

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!