This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Beauty is something that everyone and anyone can indulge in. I have been a makeup, skin and body care lover since a very young age. More recently, however, I have begun researching the ingredients in some of my beloved products. I’ve found some disappointing facts regarding the ingredients and the processes that formulate these products. In finding this out, I began purchasing and trying out clean beauty products. Below I have listed my four favorite brands and some of the products that I live for! I highly recommend checking these brands out and beginning to transition to a full force clean beauty routine. I know it may seem difficult, but with patience and time you will not only be rocking flawless skin, but also a makeup bag that is packed with environmentally friendly products!

Glossier

Founded by Emily Weiss, Glossier has been making moves in the clean beauty industry since 2010. Known for carrying skincare and makeup essentials for glowy, dewy skin from head to toe, it is one of the most well-known clean beauty brands on the market. Most of Glossier’s products give their customers a “no-makeup-makeup” look. However, with their launch of their “Glossier Play” line, they created some fun colored makeup for creative looks. This line includes their colorslide technogel eye pencil, the lidstar glistening eye glow and their Niteshine highlighter concentrate to name a few. They also recently have released new skin and body products. The original Body Hero daily wash and perfecting cream welcomed two new products to their line on October 15, 2020. These two products included the Body Hero Dry-Touch Oil Mist and the Exfoliating Bar. All of their products are packed with natural ingredients that will make any clean beauty lover fall in love. Not to mention their simple yet elegant packaging that adorns all of their wonderful products. If you have not yet, go out and purchase a Glossier product on their website, you won’t just be surprised about the inexpensive pricing but also how their clean beauty products make you look and feel! 

RMS Beauty

RMS Beauty is a unique makeup line, created using ingredients that work synergistically with your own skin. Your skin is a life force, and it will react to anything that you apply to it. Based on living and organic principles, RMS Beauty taps into this life force, giving your skin a wonderful youthful flow. Founder, Rose-Marie Swift, who created RMS Beauty in 2009, was suffering from severe health issues. Throughout her healing process and intense research, she discovered that some toxic chemicals and heavy metals in her system were found in many of the beauty products she was using. After rebuilding her own health, Rose-Marie realized she wanted to help other women experience the world of healthy, clean beauty and created the first of its kind, truly organic “color cosmetic line.” The brand not only introduces customers to amazing skincare items but also luxurious makeup products that act as second skin. Recently released, their new Master Radiance Base blurs imperfections and creates the ultimate glow. This iridescent highlighter blends easily and nourishes skin with all natural ingredients including organic jojoba oil, organic chia seed oil and light-reflecting mica-based pearls. The ingredients within the product range are not only all natural but the packaging they are in is too. RMS Beauty’s cream products are housed in recycled glass pots and their boxes are made from 80% post-consumer recycled fiber and manufactured using 100% wind power. Not only will it be keeping your skin looking flawless and healthy but will also be helping the planet one RMS Beauty purchase at a time.

Milk Makeup

Milk Makeup is all about good ingredients and epic payoff. Most famously known for their KUSH High Volume Mascara and their Lip+Cheek cream lip and cheek color, Milk has made waves in the clean beauty world for producing natural yet fun products for people of all makeup abilities. Customers can choose the Sunshine Skin Tint with SPF and the Matte Bronzer stick for a more natural sun-kissed look. But, Milk also has a wide range of fun colorful products for those adventurous makeup girls and boys. These products include the Holographic Stick, the KUSH Liquid Eyeliner, and their hydrating Lip Color that comes in a variety of colors, to name a few. Milk Makeup will not only satisfy your wallet and the planet, but put a fun spin on your makeup bag. I highly recommend going and picking up one of these fun products at your local Sephora or on the Milk website!

LUSH

Lush is a bath, body, skin and hair care company devoted to creating fresh, ethically-sourced, cruelty-free, vegetarian, homemade, low-waste and effective products. Lush was founded by Mark Constantine, a trichologist (an expert in the science of the hair and scalp), and Liz Weir, a beauty therapist. Lush is the home to many loved products, including the cult favorite bath bomb. They also have an extremely wide range of shampoo, conditioner and hair masks to keep your hair and scalp feeling happy. The scents in their haircare line extend not only to their bar soap, but also their body wash, body jello, lotions and face products which include, but are not limited to, face wash, face moisturizer and facial oils. Lush’s products will keep your skin clean and fresh while also spicing up your morning and evening routines. Throw a calming bath bomb and face mask on when you’ve had a long day, or jump start your day with a fun smelling body lotion. Whatever you choose, you are guaranteed to be happy. Also, don’t forget to stop into their stores and ask an employee to perform a demonstration of a product for you, you will not be disappointed! 

Clean beauty products are something that everyone should have the opportunity to try. The brands listed above not only deliver healthy ingredients but also transform your skin, providing you with a flawless glow not only on your face but all over your body. I highly recommend trying out these brands or doing some of your own research and choosing brands that will fit your mood and lifestyle. Best of luck!

Abby Winterburn is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison intending to major in Journalism. Upon acceptance into the J-School, she will be working towards a degree in Strategic Communication with a certificate in Digital Studies. On her free time she likes to hang around with friends, visit local coffee shops, and listen to her favorite band Mumford and Sons.
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!