Classic College Roommate Profiles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Are you concerned about your living situation this year? Don’t be! No one is the perfect roommate, but there are a few classic characters that you may have to live with throughout your years at college. Just remember, there are pros and cons with every situation!

Profile #1: The Wild Child

So, your new roomie is what some would call crazy, insane, or “turnt”?  Going out almost every night and coming back in the wee hours of the morning (or not at all)?  Yeah, she may come home a little out of it sometimes… But at least you know she will not judge you for your so-called “wild” nights on the town. If she constantly asks you to go out, or it’s not your thing, simply say so. Your wild roommate will have to respect your differences. If you do enjoy a fun night once in a while, definitely take advantage of the fact that your roommate can surely show you a good time!

Profile #2: The Slob

If you are neat and orderly, having a messy roommate whom you share a small space with could potentially be your worst nightmare! However, there are plenty of ways to bring up to her how you feel about the tornado of a room she may have created. First, you could lead by example and keep your belongings tidy. Second, if you are truly bothered, you could politely ask her to keep your room a little more uncluttered. Lastly, if none of this works, you need to be open and say that her lack of cleanliness is causing you some sort of anxiety and that you like the space you share to be shipshape. A perk of having a messy roommate is that if you neglect making your bed or picking up clothes every once in a while, she will most likely never bother you to clean it up!

Profile #3: The Quiet One

Did you go out to dinner with your new roomie just to find that the awkward silence was lingering in the air as you two shared a large platter of “awko tacos” for dinner? If you don’t have much in common with her or don’t share much personal information, remember that it is okay to not be best friends with your roommate. It is more important to have an open, light-hearted, and respectful relationship with each other. This may even be a blessing in disguise, because the situation forces both of you to come out of your comfort zone by trying to get to know one another. On the plus side, having a quiet roomie means that you can stay in and relax more often, and not have to make the trek to the library to do homework in your dorm!

There are pros and cons to living with all kinds of people! Make the best of it and be up front with each one of them, and you will have a great year. Make the most of your time with your quiet/crazy/messy/awesome roommate!

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com