This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The delicious and nutritious snacks for your broke bank account 

Just like many other college kids, my appetite is big but my bank account balance is very small. Unfortunately, this often leads to me having mac and cheese and oatmeal for most meals. Though these are college staples, they do not make me ecstatic for meal time. Throughout the last two years I have been able to find a few restaurants that allow me to maximize my food budget and happily fuel myself for the many long study days. 

I wanted to help my fellow college peers with my list of affordable meals in the Madison area to ensure that we are fueled and not eating every meal out of the microwave. 

The first place that I am a frequent visitor to is QQ Express. QQ Express is found in the basement of a building near Union South. It is a Chinese restaurant that has various choices of meat and vegetable entrees. It is set up in a cafeteria style format and allows you to fully customize your meal. This place is great for the bank account because for around ten dollars you will receive an overflowing takeout box with a variety of flavors. For dinner I normally choose fried rice for my base with General Tso’s chicken, broccoli and crab rangoon. I love being able to choose many different options and customizing my meal. The portion sizes are very big and one dinner can normally last me two days. I have also taken it home and mixed it with more homemade rice and noodles to make it last longer as well. This place is a great way to get some warm, flavorful food for a cheap price. 

Another place that I would recommend is Belair. Belair has three dollar tacos on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Belair is located up by the capital and serves Mexican cuisine. They have many choices of tacos including chicken, vegetarian and pork options. They also have chips and salsa for two dollars. On Tuesdays and Thursdays some of the tacos are on sale for three dollars a piece and when you combine three of them you also get rice and beans. For nine dollars you get a full very filling meal that is also very nutritious. The tacos are generously filled and I always have leftovers. This is also a meal that I can last for a few days. Though this option is a little farther away and is more of a sit down option, Belair provides a great retreat from the craziness of campus. 

Another one of my favorites is Madistan. They have a location on N Bassett Street and it is a quick walk from campus. This is a great place to get flavorful food in relatively large serving sizes. One of my favorite meals to get is falafel and hummus. For around four dollars you can get a filling meal full of flavor and protein. Pairing that with many of their other four dollar appetizers makes a great meal. I really enjoy trying many different things and with the cheap appetizer option I am able to customize my dinner to fit whatever I feel like that day. They also have really great service and can help craft your perfect meal. This is a great one of my favorite treats after a cold winter day. 

Just because your wallet is empty, doesn’t mean your stomach needs to be. There are many ways to get a substantial and delicious meal in Madison for a reasonable price. I am a big fan of eating out and eating well, and these options provide me and my wallet with satisfaction. 

A lifelong storyteller with a love for anything outdoors