This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Following one of the longest government shutdowns in U.S. history, Cardi B couldn’t help but stand up against President Trump. And we are here for it.

In a recent Instagram video, Cardi spoke out against the injustices of the government shutdown saying, “Hey y’all. I just want to remind you that it’s been a little over three weeks now, okay…Trump is now ordering, as in summoning federal government workers to go back to work without getting paid.” While some might wonder why a rapper is speaking out on politics, it is really more important than ever that celebrities like Cardi use their platforms to draw attention to current issues! You can watch Cardi’s insta rant here.

In anticipation of the conservative backlash, Cardi continued by acknowledging the government shutdown that took place during the Obama administration. Cardi informs her following of 40.6 million people that the brief government shutdown that took place in 2013 differs tremendously from the horrors of today. She continues by justifying the previous shutdown as it was, “…for healthcare! So your grandma could check her blood pressure and you b!tches could go check y’all p*ssy in the gynecologist.”

Like many influencers of today, Cardi spoke out against the Trump administration’s fascination with the construction of a wall. She repeated both her fears and frustrations with the implications of the shutdown. While many were quick to retweet and praise our favorite rapper from the Bronx, not everyone was on board. Cardi is no stranger to receiving hate. With the release of her new music video for the song, “Twerk” and the drama surrounding her relationship with Offset, Cardi is repeatedly scrutinized. And this time, Tomi Lahren came for her. Tweeting, “Looks like @iamcardib is the latest genius political mind to endorse the Democrats. Ha! Keep it up, guys! #MAGA2020” Tomi Lahren proceeded to belittle Cardi’s intelligence and political awareness as she questioned Cardi’s authority on the matter. While the thread continued back and forth, Cardi had the perfect response to once again prove that she is above the haters.

Shoutout to Cardi for always keepin’ it real.

Grace Landsberg is currently a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She is majoring in Strategic Communications within the School of Journalism and Mass Communication while also pursuing a certificate in Digital Studies. In her free time, she loves finding new music, spending time with family and friends, and hittin' the food trucks on campus!
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.