Campus Study Spots Based on Your Enneagram Type

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The Enneagram is a personality inventory focusing on your motivations. A person is said to have one of the nine basic personality types. If you’re curious to know how you can use this to find that perfect study spot and be more productive in the long run, read on to find out! 

Type 1: Law Library

Type Ones, known for their strong morals and perfectionistic, principled take on anything they do would feel right at home here with future lawyers. Open until midnight most days, the Law Library has many open seating areas as well as both the Quarles & Brady and the Habush & Rottier Reading Rooms. Both located on the fifth floor, the former holds federal materials while the latter features a breathtaking view of Bascom Hill. So, whether you’re considering law or just want to be reminded of your purpose while you study, this is the place for you. Just keep in mind that hours may be limited as bar exams near.

Type 2: College Library

One of the most extroverted and generous of all the types, Twos will appreciate the variety of spaces offered by College Library ranging from silent to group study. Open 24 hours four days a week, this is the perfect place to be when you just need to be surrounded by people while you cram for that exam. The Open Book Café and Collection located on the first floor is a great place to catch up with friends, check out some new books and grab a bite to eat. Easy access to Lakeshore dorms by the Lakeshore Path during the day.

Type 3: Business Learning Commons

Situated inside Grainger Hall, this newly renovated space transports you to the future of innovation and presents a modern take on learning and collaboration. Threes, known for their ambition and personal drive to improve will find that this space suits their vibe. The Commons offers breakout rooms for group work, individual study desks with dividers, a computer lab, more outlets than you could ever dream of and an area for group work. Hangry? No problem. Capital Café, offering soup and sandwiches, is conveniently located in Grainger.

Type 4: Kohler Art Library

Introspective, imaginative Fours will appreciate the intimate feel of the Kohler Art Library, located inside the aesthetically pleasing Chazen Art Museum and just minutes away from East Campus Mall. Comfy couches and tables are available for use. Kohler also holds art collections on campus that has everything from African to Medieval art, architecture and everything in between. And when you just can’t bear to look at your homework any longer, pop over to the galleries at the Chazen because admission is free!

Type 5: Memorial Library

Step inside and lose all sense of the present. Originally built in the 1950s, it holds the single largest collection of books on campus with texts from 350 different languages spanning the numerous floors. Perceptive and curious Fives will appreciate the quiet and studious nature of this library. Study cages, or carrels, that line the walls are available for when you truly need to hunker down and study. Group study rooms are also available, though a reservation is required. 

Type 6: Student Activity Center

Hard-working and loyal Sixes will most likely find that the Student Activity Center is their preferred study space. Spanning the third and fourth floors of East Campus Mall, it houses many campus organization offices, as well as study areas scattered throughout, a rooftop deck and a computer lab. Group collaboration is welcome, but the noise level is usually on the quieter side, which many Sixes will appreciate. Enjoy a view overlooking West Johnson Street.

Type 7: Memorial Union

Spontaneous and craving new experiences, Sevens would love studying at the Memorial Union, the heart of campus. There is  just enough hustle and bustle without it (hopefully) being too much of a distraction. You have access to the Lakeview Lounge that has views of both the Terrace and Lake Mendota, delicious Babcock ice cream waiting for you when you finish that work session, international cuisine such as Der Rathskeller and Strada for when you’re feeling ambitious, as well as the many events going on—both inside and outside—of the Union.

Type 8: Wisconsin Historical Society

Assertive and decisive Eights not afraid to chart their own path will feel inspired studying at the Wisconsin Historical Society. Not only does this library have  ornate ceilings and plentiful seating in and around the main study room (yes with those famous green lamps) but also holds important historical archives pertaining to both Wisconsin and the United States as a whole. No food allowed though. Open six days of the week, Monday through Saturday.

Type 9: Union South

Harmonious Nines seeking peace and comfort from their environment might find the Union South to be their cup of tea. Serving the south side of campus, Union South houses student favorites such as the Sett, a recreational facility, and the Marquee, featuring film screenings, as well as  food options including The Urban Slice and Ginger Root for when a break is needed. A cozy fireplace setting, various scattered lounges and table seating provide an easy way to, maybe, just maybe, get lost in that reading.

Feel free to try any of the study spots listed above, which you may find that you like better than what was suggested for your type. All except for the Wisconsin Historical Society are open all seven days of the week (which we all know is important for that weekend grind), though hours may vary. 

Sreevidya is from San Jose, CA and is a freshman at the University of Wisconsin-Madison intending to double major in psychology and english. In her free time, she loves writing, listening to music, and discovering new restaurants to try.
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.