Campus Profile: Lily Roter

Meet Lily: she's a bubbly, enthusiastic, Humorology-loving junior here at UW-Madison. Lily is pursuing a computer science major — a predominantly-male career area — while working to get a certificate in education and educational services. Talk about a #STEMinist and a hard-worker.

1. Where are you from?

I’m from Highland Park, Illinois. It's a suburb north of Chicago.

2. What are you involved in on campus?

I’m extremely involved with my sorority, Chi Omega. I’m also very involved in Humorology, the philanthropy of UW-Madison’s Greek life. I was a cast member during my freshman year and progressed to become a director my sophomore year. I love Humorology — it’s the best part of Wisconsin! Unfortunately, I can’t do Humo this year because I’m studying abroad in Florence next semester; but I’m still helping out when I have time.

Lily during the 69th annual Humorology show last year.

3. Besides Humo, what is your favorite part about being in the Greek community?

Since Wisconsin is such a huge school, joining the Greek community helped me make my closest circle of friends and made the entire school feel a lot smaller (in a good way). My favorite philanthropy is Make A Wish because that’s what Chi O supports. 

4. What do you want to do after you finish college?

I’m a super indecisive person, and I know I will pick one thing and change it a bunch of times. But with my major, Google would be the best case scenario. I also want to be happy at wherever I end up, though — that’s one of the most important parts to me.

5. Favorite shows currently?

How I Met Your Mother. I could watch it all day, every day; I could watch it on repeat. I’m also in the middle of Shameless.

6. If you could go to any place in the world, where would it be and why?

I would definitely want to go to Australia because I’ve never been there. I really, really want to experience that at some point in my life.

7. If you could give your freshman-year self advice, what would it be?

To stay in less and live your life; to just take in every single moment because it really does fly by. Definitely take more videos— download the app "One Second A Day"! Don’t stress because it’ll all be okay in the end. I always really liked and tried to listen to the quote, “it’ll all be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end.”

Follow Lily on [email protected]