Campus Profile: Kaitlyn Pritzl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Meet Kaitlyn Pritzl. She’s an Appleton, WI native and is currently studying Psychology as well as Human Development and Family Studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Other than being interested in the welfare of others, she loves to bake. Even if she thinks she’s not that great at it!

What is the organization that you’re involved in and what is your position?

I am the President and co-founder of Words of the Wise. We help connect students with elderly residents to create personal relationships. We are trying to bridge the generational gap and promote socialization between and among people of all ages.

What were your inspirations for creating Words of the Wise?

Last year, my friends and I decided we wanted to do something for this campus that would last beyond our years here. We thought a student organization was just the thing. Our Vice President and co-founder, Lexi Frerks, had mentioned that while being a CNA, she always wished she could spend more time simply talking to the residents as they were often sitting alone or spending their day watching TV. Therefore, we wanted to find a way to encourage more interaction in the nursing home patients’ days.

Why should someone join?

Joining Words of the Wise is a great way to get involved in the community in a unique and fulfilling way. Our members really make a difference in the residents’ lives by providing a recurring and reliant friend outside of the other patients at the home. For some students who don’t have the opportunity to see their grandparents as much as they want, or don’t have any, Words of the Wise gives them a chance to still reach out to members of older generations. Hearing different perspectives and life stories is a priceless experience that Words of the Wise offers!

Why is volunteering with the elderly important to do?

Many of our elderly sit lonely all day. They may talk to the nurses but often the nurses are too busy to have much of a conversation. Some residents may get visitors but often they don’t, leaving them to themselves for the majority of the time. Additionally, after taking a class about development beyond childhood I learned how important it is to socialize with the elderly because of the positive benefits it brings. Studies have shown that socialization among the elderly can improve their health, not only expanding their life but also improving the quality of their days. I’m so proud that our organization is able to promote this well-being!

If Words of the Wise seems like your cup of tea, check out their page on the Wisconsin Involvement Network or Facebook. Remember that even if you don’t have time to join this organization you can try calling your grandparents or even smiling at the elderly person you see while out and about in Madison. It will make their day and yours too!    

Chloe Billstrom

Wisconsin '20

A junior studying Sociology, Spanish, and Global Health who also has a love for writing and languages.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!