This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

This week Her Campus got the chance to interview a sports-loving, involved, and passionate junior at UW-Madison. Take a look at what his favorite parts of being a Badger are and how he’s making the best of his time at UW.

Year: Junior

Major: Accounting and Real Estate

Hometown: Holmen, WI

What made you choose to attend UW-Madison?

The college-town atmosphere and the proximity to my hometown. Also, visiting my older brother (a UW alum) in high school made it an easy decision, and the prestigious academic standing this university, and the School of Business, have.

What’s your favorite part about UW?

As cliché as it sounds, the people are really the best part of the UW-Madison community. The diverse student body has opened my eyes to issues I never knew about in high school, and have better prepared me for my future career. The “work hard, play hard,” mentality has allowed me to enjoy Madison while getting one of the best educations in the world.

What do you like to do in your free time?

My seven roommates and I always find ourselves playing some kind of sport. Whether it’s basketball, football, golf, etc., we are always trying to find an activity between classes and studying. I can also guarantee a screaming match while playing Mario Cart at least once a week.

What are you involved in on campus?

I’m the Finance Chair for Badgers for Special Olympics and Treasurer for Society for Management and Performance Excellence.

What inspired you to become involved with the Special Olympics and what’s your favorite part about it?

I’ve always enjoyed spending time with individuals who have intellectual disabilities. And as a former athlete, this organization allows me to spend time around sports while volunteering and even competing with Special Olympics athletes. It brings confidence to the athletes, and allows our members to build more meaningful relationships with them.

You’re studying abroad to Denmark this summer. Tell me about why you chose the location and what made you study abroad in general.

I’m a person who cherishes making memories as opposed to having material items, so I chose to study abroad to make as many memories in as many places as possible. The Copenhagen Business School offers an affordable place to adventure and see what Europe has to offer. I also have family that still lives in Copenhagen, so it gives me a more personal reason to pick Denmark.

Tell me a fun fact about yourself!

I tried out for the UW men’s basketball team last year, but quickly learned I was washed up.

If you could meet any person in the world and hang for a day, who would it be and why?

Jackie Robinson would have been a very cool person to have a conversation with. Being a Hall of Fame baseball player would be interesting, but more importantly I would’ve liked to hear about all the obstacles he had to overcome in his era. Not only is he seen as a great baseball player, but a pioneer for minorities in sports.

It’s clear to see that Griffin’s passion for success, adventure, empathy, and happiness has spilled out into his career here at UW-Madison. We can’t wait to see where his goals take him next. If you ever need a riveting game of basketball or Super Mario, or just need a helping hand, find Griffin Johnson!

Olivia is an adventurous sophomore at UW-Madison! She's pursuing two degrees in both journalism and mass communication, as well as literature. Olivia's favorite things about being a Badger is the school spirit, and the ability to always have something new to explore on campus. You can catch her at the Union or a coffee shop on the weekends with her friends!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!