Campus Celebrity: Sophia Rago

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

This week’s Campus Celeb Sophia Rago joined us to chat about a student organization she helped build last year with her friend Ben Kernzer.

How did the idea come about to start Badgers for Special Olympics?

I volunteered for Special Olympics in high school and when I came to college, Ben and I noticed that there wasn’t a huge opportunity to continue that service. There was a senior at Madison last year that had put together contacts with Badgers for Special Olympics. We took that information and blew it up.

What does Badgers for Special Olympics do?

We give students a really flexible and nonbinding opportunity to volunteer with Special Olympics in Madison as often as they like. We do different events like sailing, basketball, and bowling. Members are paired with an athlete and you’re their coach throughout the process maintaining moral support. You become friends with them by the time the event is over.

What has managing a student organization taught you?

It has taught me how to manage my time and figure out what the students here want, then how we can use that to help the program. We recognize a need in the community and see what we can offer.

Biggest accomplishment in Badgers for Special Olympics?

We went from roughly 20 members to about 400.

Favorite memory in Badgers for Special Olympics?

Last week we were bowling and my team was Dennis, 69 years old, and Robert, 51 years old, and we had so much fun. They both scored their highest scores ever. Both of their parents came up to me and had tears in their eyes, saying that Dennis and Robert had never felt so comfortable and willing to put themselves in a situation and just be in the moment. 

If you’re interested in joining Badgers for Special Olympics, check out their Wisco page here!

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com