Campus Celebrity: McKenna Collins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity has her hands full- from pageants to running her own business; freshman, McKenna Collins, won’t let anything get in the way of success! McKenna has been an aspiring and inspirational young woman since early high school and any girl would love to spend a day in her shoes (not to mention she’s drop dead GORGEOUS). Even in moments of fame, McKenna never ceases to humbly mention how thankful she is for all the opportunities and support she has been given throughout the years.

So you have a business called MyBella Birthday, tell me about it!:

I started MyBella Birthday as a sophomore in high school following my performance as the Sugar Plum Fairy in The Nutcracker. I was the guest of honor at the tea party prior the performance and had the opportunity to mingle with little girls, take pictures, sign autographs and hand out little goodie bags. I saw how much the moms and their daughters enjoyed the experience and it got me thinking about how I could turn this around and make it a successful business. One month later, MyBella Birthday was up and running and has since become an extremely successful small business. I now work with my sister throwing Frozen themed birthday parties as well…needless to say I’ve heard the song “Let It Go” a few too many times!

What made you want to do your first pageant?

I initially wanted to compete in a pageant because I never had the opportunity to go to prom ( I’ve been a professional ballerina with Madison Ballet for three years and had a performance that night). I competed for and earned the title of Miss Southern Wisconsin Teen 2013 just a few weeks later! I spent my year of service traveling the state, promoting my platform and encouraging young women to pursue their dreams, like I had. I just recently competed in my second pageant and, out of 33 amazing, accomplished and talented young women, took first runner up to Miss Wisconsin Teen USA 2015! I had such a positive experience and truly believe in the incredible opportunities the Miss USA and Miss America organizations offer young women. I will definitely be competing again in the future!

What else do you do in your free time?

Since arriving on campus, I’ve become a member of Alpha Phi, started my own fashion blog called The Badgerette, I have accepted a position as a Victorias Secret Pink Street Team member and am continuing to grow MyBella Birthday from the comfort of my dorm room.

What is TheBadgerette?

I started The Badgerette as a way to blog about the latest trends and style on a college budget. I’ve actually arranged my first two collaborations already which I am so excited about, so make sure to follow me @thebadgerette on Instagram!

Who has been your greatest supporter through all of your successes?

My parents have always been my biggest supporters. Whether I am on stage, in the class room or at home, they are the people who always challenge me to go further, encourage me to dream bigger and love me unconditionally!

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com