Campus Catwalk: Fall Trends YOUR Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Do you love dressing trendy, but aren’t always on top of the fast changing seasonal trends? Well here’s your guide to this fall’s favorite styles that you can do too! From leggings and boots, to jackets and scarves, you can turn a few staple pieces into the trendiest looks of the season. Here’s a few, short lessons to put together your look.

Lesson 1: Less is more.

For us college students who are always on the go, it’s better to keep your outfit simple and the accessories minimal. Stick to a few basics: by pairing black leggings and a black tee, you can choose to glam it up with studs and one or two shorter necklaces (for less possibility of jewelry tangling and annoyance throughout the day).

Lesson 2: Color is a must.

Fall is a season known for the beautiful colors, so why wouldn’t you incorporate color into your overall look?! It’s so easy. You can add colorful fall pieces on top of your basics, by pairing with a hat, scarf, jacket, or even handbag. This year’s go­to colors are wine, green, orange, navy, brown, and deep purple. Make sure to try them all!

Lesson 3: Be yourself.

You should never dress in a way that makes you uncomfortable just because it’s ‘in’. Take inspiration from other’s looks, but add your own spin to them. Wear an accessory with meaning, like a pendant necklace that someone special gave you, or your favorite shoes that you wear everywhere. 

Lesson 4: Have fun.

Putting together an outfit can sometimes be stressful or difficult, but it should ultimately be fun! It’s your way of visually expressing yourself every day, so be creative, try new things, and enjoy it!

This fabulous outfit is from a junior at Madison, Yuting Liu. Yuting is an exchange student from China who is studying business, and has fall fashion down perfectly! She keeps her look minimal, yet looking as stylish as ever with simple black clothes under her amazingly tailored trench and combat boots. Yuting even manages to incorporate both orange and green into her look with a color blocking aspect. Super adorable!

When I asked her which piece from her outfit was her favorite, she replied, “My shoes, because they’re cute and I can wear them with many different things.”

Her fall style gets an A+ in my book. Let’s follow her lead ladies!

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com