Life > Experiences

Camping Gear Recommendations from a Total Newbie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

One camping trip down, and many more to go. Here’s the gear I recommend.

This spring break, I went on my very first camping trip. My partner and I spent three nights in Death Valley and one night in Joshua Tree. In Death Valley, the days were sweltering and dry while the nights were freezing. In Joshua Tree, the days were moderate, but the night was cold and incredibly windy. A camping trip can be fun if you’re prepared with the proper gear. I hope that my rookie gear recommendations can help you plan your first camping trip!

First, let’s talk about clothing and footwear. Shoes can make or break any trip. I ordered the Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot from Amazon and broke them in super quickly by walking around campus. These boots are true to size and very comfy. I also ordered a bunch of Target’s Women’s Core Seamless Short Sleeve T-Shirts, which I highly recommend for hot climates or for layering in cold weather. They’re simple, stylish and wick the sweat away. 

As for gear, I fell in love with my pack immediately. After some research, I settled on the Gregory Women’s Deva 60L Pack. It has an endless amount of compartments and is very comfortable. My favorite thing about this pack is that it comes with a daypack. We ended up leaving our packs in the car, and this small bag was nice for carrying water bottles on day excursions. This purchase is definitely an investment in quality. 

We also bought the North Face Stormbreak 2-person tent. This simple tent is great quality and won’t break the bank. It’s called the Stormbreaker for a reason: it withstood a whole night of whipping winds in Joshua Tree. On the other hand, I can’t attest to its waterproof quality yet.

I still have a lot to learn about camping, but I’m glad to have some of the right essentials to get me started! 

Justice Moore

Wisconsin '23

Hello there! My name is Justice. I am a second-year student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I'm majoring in English and Legal Studies with certifications in Criminal Justice and Gender and Women's Studies. In my free time, I enjoy baking and taking walks outside.