A Campaign for Netflix’s “The Politician”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

As we all are — or at least should be —  aware, the 2020 presidential race is now in full swing. The races features politicians such as Elizabeth Warren, Donald Trump, Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Pete Buttigieg, and many more that I’m not aware of due to the fact that they aren’t satorized on Saturday Night Live skits as much. But, just under a year ahead of voting day, the only “Politician” I’m interested in is Payton Hobart. Never heard of him? Well, you will soon enough as I present my campaign for you to place a checkmark next to “The Politician” on your “Next Netflix Watch” ballot.

I Promise: An All-star CastWho should you expect to see in this show expecting that you’re persuaded by my campaign? I advise taking a seat before I go on to list this star-studded cast featured in this spectacular series. The series’ posterboy is none other than Tony and Grammy award-winning actor Ben Platt who plays “The Politician,” Payton Hobart, and also features Bett Midler, American Horror Story’s Jessica Lange, Gweneth Paltrow, Bohemian Rhapsody’s Lucy Boynton, Zoe Deutch, and Laura Dreyfuss who also starred alongside Platt in the original Broadway cast of Dear Evan Hanson. Along with these respected, reputable Hollywood regulars, the show also features fresh faces such as David Corenswet, Julia Schlaepfer, Theo Germain, and Rahne Jones.

I Promise: A Compelling Storyline

Taking place at the fictional Saint Sebastian High School, the plot is centered around affluent Santa Barbara teen Payton Hobart and his Machiavellian political ambition. With the dreams — no, reality set in his mind — of being future president of the United States, he views the accolade of student body president as an imperative stepping stone in order to obtain the inevitable. The only obstacle? Your classic, popular, athletic, high school heartthrob River Barkley as his political opponent. Payton and his equally ambitious, devout henchmen will go as far as it takes to take office in this dramedy that satirizes the tribulations of high school politics. With gilded glamor, familial facades, and adolescent angst curated from the mind of Glee and American Horror Story creator Ryan Murphy, this show is bound to captivate your attention.

I Promise: An Aesthetically Pleasing Viewing Experience

The cinematography! The symmetry! The monochromaticity! All of the shots that comprise this series are elegantly simple, juxtaposing the chaotic storyline perfectly and with a style that reflects that of Wes Anderson. The scenes are drowned in vivid colors richer than the show’s ensemble of elite teens. Almost every shot of the series is satirically staged almost like a Renaissance painting, making the entire binging experience of this political parody feel like a walk through the Louvre that emphasizes on how the characters are posed, political pawns.

I Promise: Complex Cast of CharactersWith his mind dead set on being President since the age of seven, Payton Hobart is characterized as excessively ambitious and exceptionally intelligent, both to a fault. His polished attire alone sets a precedent that this future president cares more about his vanity than his sanity, resulting in a disconnect between him and his voters. Even past the show’s main man, characters River Barkley and Astrid Sloan face their own personal demons behind their diamond encrusted partition of privilege. Other characters include the Munchausen by Proxy disorder inflicted Infinity Jackson, Jackie O wannabe Alice Charles, the immoral identical twins Martin and Luther Hobart, the proud pantsuit parader McAfee Westbrooke, the calculated campaign advisor James Sullivan, and the equally stunning and selfless mother Georgina Hobart. With this troubled troupe, I guarantee “The Politician” will leave you thoroughly enthralled.

I Promise: The Musical Talents of Tony Winning Actor Ben Platt

Didn’t think the creator of Glee could seamlessly weave multiple musical numbers into a show centered around high school politics? THINK AGAIN. With Ben Platt playing the leading role, it would almost be a crime not to let him show off his singing chops. While the show’s album only contains four songs, each shows off Platt’s vast vocal range. His Broadway vibrato and pitch perfect runs will take your breath away or elicit a single tear to stream down your face. The album boasts Platt’s tear-jerking rendition of “River”, his and costar Zoe Deutch’s cover of Stephen Sondheim’s “Unworthy of Your Love,” Platt’s version of “Vienna” by Billy Joel, and capping the album off with his own original song “Run Away” that questions the authority Ed Sheeran and John Legend have over the first dance song market.

Finally, I promise that once you cast your vote for “The Politician” as your next Netflix binge you will be counting down the days until the show’s second season is set to air in the summer of 2020.

Courtney Loth

Wisconsin '23

Student at the University of Wisconsin: Madison studying Journalism and Communications.
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.