Call Me Crazy…But I Have a Happy Light

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Every winter in Wisconsin the sun beings to set earlier and earlier, and I slowly die inside.  Like most people I am not a fan of the darkness.  You may have heard of light therapy before.  When my parents bought everyone in our family happy lights I thought they were crazy.“Happy lights” as I affectionately refer to them as, are used to treat seasonal depression.  Basically getting sad when it’s cold and dark outside, which pretty much everyone in Wisconsin experiences.  I figured I would give the happy light a try.

When I moved in with my roommate this year I was pleased to find she had a happy light too!  We could share in our craziness together! 

Okay now for the review.  According to the Mayo Clinic website, happy lights are supposed to mimic outdoor light that is absent in the winter.  The result is thus, “a chemical change in your brain that lifts your mood.”

First let me admit that the light is very bright.  However, light is not something I’m complaining about in the dark tunnel that is Wisconsin winter.  My roommate and I have taken to 30-minute happy light cycles in the morning along with our coffee.No, this thing will not cure all your problems.  I still do not enjoy Wisconsin winters.  However, the light does make me less likely to crawl back into bed and skip all my classes.  That in itself I consider to be an accomplishment. 

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it I do like the light.  It’s kind of a nice feeling when you’re otherwise surrounded by a black hole of darkness.  So collegiettes, I’d say don’t call me crazy until you’ve tried it.  You might find yourself to be a happy light convert like me.                

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!