timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Bucket List for Your First Summer in Madison

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Spending at least one summer in Madison is a necessary part in every Badger’s college experience. After all, it’s hard to take advantage of the Terrace and the city’s beautiful lakes when they’re frozen over for most of the school year. While there are many great spots to dine, shop, and explore, here are the top eight things you must check off your bucket list during your first summer in Madison.

1. Terrace

It wouldn’t be summer in Madison without enjoying pitchers of beer—or other non-alcoholic refreshments—at Madison’s iconic Memorial Union Terrace, which overlooks the beautiful Lake Mendota. The colorful chairs and open space make for the perfect hangout spot to catch up with friends and family— it can even make a fun casual date location. While you’re at it, grab some ice cream from Madison’s very own Babcock Dairy. And if you’re feeling adventurous, take a dip in the lake to cool off. Of course, don’t forget to snap a few pics for Instagram.

1. Sailing

Hoofer Sailing Club offers a summer membership for students, faculty, staff of UW-Madison, and Wisconsin Union members. Once a member of the Hoofer Sailing Club, you can take free sailing lessons and become certified, so don’t be scared off if you don’t have prior sailing experience. After earning your sailing certification, you can take boats out on gorgeous Lake Mendota all summer long. Talk about a great way to practice a new skill while kicking it with friends!

1. Farmer’s Market

The Dane County Farmer’s Market, the largest producer-only farmer’s market in the U.S., is a must for your first summer in Madison. That said, feel free to stop by Stella’s for some hot and spicy cheese bread, give in to the temptation of the seemingly endless pastries, and pick up some fresh cut flowers. Head over to lounge on the Capitol lawn with friends or family afterwards and take in the views and sunshine of the beautiful Capitol Square.

1. Picnic Point

Follow the Lakeshore Path to Picnic Point for an unforgettable view of Madison. If you ride your bike down the Lakeshore path, make sure you lock it up outside, as bikes are prohibited inside the preserve. If you’re feeling ambitious, take a jog or run to the end of Picnic Point, either from the beginning of the Lakeshore Path, which is about a 5.6-mile run there and back, or from the entrance to Picnic Point, which is about a 1.2-mile run there and back. For a fun get-together with friends or a cute date, pack a lunch or dinner and bring a few of your favorite drinks to enjoy around the large Bonfire pit at the end of Picnic Point. You won’t have to worry about running out of seats for a large group, as there’s enough space around the bonfire to fit an entire student org or class.  

1. Ice Cream

Let’s be real, there are so many places to get ice cream in Madison. But have you tried them all? Make a fun summer game out of trying all the different ice cream spots you can find in Madison. I’ll give you five to start with: Kilwins, Chocolate Shoppe, Babcock Dairy, Cold Stone Creamery, and Michael’s Frozen Custard.

1. Bascom

Lounging on Bascom during the school year feels different than over the summer. Grab a blanket, a Frisbee, and some friends to catch some rays—or Z’s—on the green grass of Bascom Hill. If you’re taking classes over the summer, this is an easy spot to hang out after class before heading home or to your next activity.

1. Concerts on the Square

Grab a blanket, pack a picnic, and enjoy live music on Wednesday evenings at the Capitol Square. This is a great way to unwind with friends after a day of work or classes. It’s always fun to spend time near the Capitol, a beautiful area that most of us don’t see very much of during the busy school year.

1. James Madison Park

Unleash your inner kid and take a stroll down to James Madison Park located on E. Gorham St., between N Butler St. and N Blount St. Bring a football, a frisbee, a soccer ball, or whatever else your heart desires and play around on the large lawn of the park, which overlooks the iconic Lake Mendota. 

Be sure to check these eight activities off your Madison summer bucket list for the full Badger experience. On, Wisconsin! 

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!