This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

A few weeks ago I was sitting in one of the campus cafes over my lunch break when I noticed that almost every girl around me was wearing yoga pants or leggings. And I do mean everyone. Sure, we all had our own styles – some paired their yoga pants with a cute sweater or cardigan, those in athletic leggings wore hoodies, myself and several others paired our go-to yoga pants with flannels… but out of the 40 people sitting around me and countless others who walked by or stood in line for food, I saw only four girls wearing jeans.

Honestly, EVERYONE WAS IN YOGA PANTS OR LEGGINGS. Including me! It had just become a habit to pull my yoga pants on in the morning because they’re super comfortable and black goes with anything. But why have we all stopped wearing jeans? After observing how many of us were in leggings and realizing how habitually I wore my yoga pants, I made a committment to wear jeans everyday for a week. Since then, I’ve been wearing my jeans way more than my yoga pants!

After my week of jean-wearing, I have three things to say to anyone who hasn’t touched their good ole blue jeans in a long while:

1. It’s no harder to pull on well-fitting jeans than it is to pull on leggings and when they fit well, they are absolutely comfortable! Three power lectures, no problem. 

2. Jeans are warmer than skimpy leggings, so my walk to class wasn’t quite so bad back when the snow was still falling. And even though the sun is coming out now, jeans still win because denim doesn’t get as clingy or sweaty as cotton leggings can be in the hot, humid weather!

3. POCKETS! Jeans have pockets and oh, how I’d missed having pockets. Chapstick? Check. Cell phone? 

Before my week of jean-wearing, I had convinced myself that I couldn’t sit through three power lectures in anything but yoga pants and that tucking my jeans into my boots would be too much of a struggle. Seriously? I was letting the gloomy winter weather get to me. I love my jeans and I’ve missed wearin’ ’em! As spring rolls around, I bet a lot more of us will be pulling out of the winter yoga pants slump and pulling on our favorite jeans!

Lily R. Hansen, a 2017 UW-Madison graduate, served as a managing editor of the HC Wisconsin chapter beginning her sophomore year. An avid reader and writer, Lily also has a passion for live music and breakfast foods.