Break-Up Letter to my HGTV Addiction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I have block off nights for student orgs, work twice a week, and spend a night volunteering. A pile of homework left untouched on my desk, a few exams to study for, and I could definitely use a workout…so why have I spent two hours glued to my television? Four letters: HGTV.

Dear Personal HGTV Addiction,

Since moving into college, you have become an unnecessary part of my day. You are unwelcome in my busy schedule, yet I cannot turn you off. Why must I be so dependent on your mind numbing abilities during high-stress times? It’s with great pain in my heart that I must tell you it’s time to end our relationship together.

We’ve been through so much together. Remember that time I fell asleep watching you in January and almost missed my afternoon classes? Oh, good times…But you haven’t always treated me with kindness or support. As if I didn’t have enough pressure in school, must you always give me extra false hope for the future? It is not realistic to live on a tropical island. Stop causing me to daydream. There is a slim chance I’ll ever be able to choose freely between 3 different multimillion dollar houses–I really must just face the facts.

I’m sorry, but I’ve started to feel profound feelings for other people. These are people I feel I know personally but that will never know me. The deeper I become emotional invested in Chip and Joanna’s relationship, the more I realize I need to cut you out.

I should be studying econ. I should be memorizing my Spanish vocab. I should be doing the reading I’ve put off all week. So why am I using my mental energy analyzing every decision they make on Flip or Flop?

But I must also thank you. You have opened my mind to new concepts. Shiplap, crown molding…these are words that would’ve meant nothing to me before you. From now on, I will promptly notice popcorn ceilings when walking into any new home. Thank you for opening my eyes to a whole new world of real estate and home improvement. I’ll miss you HGTV. I hope you all find that perfect house. In the meantime, I think I’ll try finding my remote, scrolling up and checking out the Food Channel.

HGTV, you’ve been chopped. 

UW-Madison • Journalism: Double-tracking Reporting and Strategic Communications with a Certificate in Digital Studies  
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!