This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Finals alone are enough to drive anyone out of their mind. The papers and exams pile up; and before you know it, you have three tests, two papers and a presentation all in one week. Your head might feel like it’s going to explode. And while a night out is sure to relieve some stress, don’t rule out the idea of a night in all to yourself. A little time to relax your head and an opportunity to go to bed early might be just what you need. Here are some ways to spend quality time with yourself so that you can unwind and take care of you.

1. Read a book

Reading a book is always on the top of my list when I have time to myself, but it seems like I hardly get a minute to do it. Whether it’s a classic romance, a thrilling crime story or a poetic memoir, a good book is a great way to go when you’re looking to decompress and get away for a little.  

2. Make some lists

Making lists is one of my favorite pastimes because you can make one for anything!  Places you dream of going, things you want to do next week, quotes you love, ways to spend time with yourself (haha)… Writing down some thoughtful goals or beautiful things you like might rejuvenate your spirit and help you to keep your mind sane even with the stressors of school.

3. Pamper Yourself

Treating yourself is an important thing to do every once and awhile. If you can, turn on a spa music playlist, run a bath, put on your slippers and help yourself to a solo spa night. Stop at Walgreens and grab a new nail color and a face mask — or make a mask at home with what you have. It’s important to close your eyes and soak in a whole lotta goodness on nights you need to relax.

4. Bake

Head to Buzzfeed or Pinterest to find some delicious, hassle-free recipes you can make yourself. Baking is an extremely satisfying way to spend your time; not only is the process fun, you also get something wonderfully delicious out of it. Try out recipes for one, or bake something you and all your roommates can enjoy!

Some Recipe Suggestions :

5. Turn off your phone

Unplugging is key to spending quality time with yourself. Instead of mindlessly scrolling through Facebook or Instagram, put your phone on the charger in the other room and leave it there for an hour or two. You’ll feel much more present, and you will be able to calm your thoughts without the constant stimulation that comes with a screen.

6. Clean and Get Organized!

Cleaning is an amazing de-stressor that will do wonders for any kind of mood. With a clean space, your mind will also feel clearer and more in control. You can take a few hours to change your sheets, dust and deep clean; or you can take fifteen minutes to just put away your laundry. Whatever the case, a tidier room will leave you feeling refreshed and motivated.

We’ve all had moments when we felt like we need to just sit and be by ourselves — and that’s okay! It’s really important to take care of our bodies and minds, especially during finals week. Eating and sleeping well vital to your mental and physical health; so make sure you’re making conscious efforts to be kind to yourself. If possible, take a night off from it all, and try some of these tips so that you can spend time with you.

Cate Wilkinson

Wisconsin '20

Cate graduated from UW - Madison in May 2020 with a degree in Microbiology with a certificate in French. She is very passionate about health, wellness, sustainability and communication about these topics!