sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Throwback Songs to Hear After a Break-up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

There is no better cure to a broken heart than that song that perfectly expresses your emotions. It’s like every lyric is a stitch, mending your soul back together- but enough with the sappy stuff, let’s welcome in our newfangled lives.

“I Look So Good (Without You)” by Jessie James

You’re on the road to becoming a new person–embrace it! Dye your hair blonde, buy that bronzer you’ve been eyeing up since forever, and do your squats–you don’t need that boy.

“F*ck You” by Cee Lo Green

If he can’t accept who you are, that’s his problem. “You is kind. You is smart. You is important.”

“Stuttering” by Fefe Dobson

No matter how secretive the scandal, girls are powerful, and we will find out EVERYTHING. So, a message to the foolish boys out there: “tell the truth, give it up” or someone else will for you.

“What the Hell” by Avril Lavigne

You’re only young once, and now’s the time to be crazy! Give up your Netflix binging and pints of Ben & Jerry’s, because no one can hold you back anymore.

“I Can Do Better” by Avril Lavigne

You can do better than him–get out and prove it! You’re better off without him anyway.“We Are Never Getting Back Together” by Taylor Swift

Toxic relationships are no joke and dragging these out longer than needed isn’t going to do you any good. Trust your gut, and end it for good this time.

“F*ck It (I Don’t Want You Back)” by Eamon

Lust can be powerful and blinding, and honestly, looking back at it, the love wasn’t even real.

“Somebody That I Used to Know” by Gotye

Yeah, it was fun and all, but the past is the past. And “I don’t even need your love.”“Since U Been Gone” by Kelly Clarkson

Relationships are a two-way street, and if he can’t respect that, then it’s time to move on.“Walk Away” by Kelly Clarkson

Excuses aren’t going to make the relationship any stronger, and if he isn’t mature enough to own up to his mistakes, then it’s time to just walk away.

“No Scrubs” by TLC

He was a deadbeat and you can do so much better. Besides, you don’t want no scrub.“Hollaback Girl” by Gwen Stefani

Once you’re gone, you’re gone. Don’t be waiting around for him to realize he wants you back. If it didn’t work out before, how could you think it will now?

“Irreplaceable” by Beyoncé

In all reality, he wasn’t that great; looks like it’s time for an upgrade.“Best Thing I Never Had” by Beyoncé

At this point, there’s only one thing left to say to him, “Thank God you blew it.”“Love Myself” by Hailee Steinfield

Okay, maybe this one’s not a throwback but we still love you, Hailee.Relationships are tricky and take a lot of commitment to maintain. If they don’t work out as planned, it’s usually for the better! Good things take time, and your other half is out there somewhere, but until then, here lies the I’m-So-Done-Playlist to hold your hand through the tough times. However, if you’re like the majority of us and too lazy to YouTube every song, find them all (and more) in one place: Raven Patzke’s Spotify under the album Break It Off. Good luck Miss Movin’ On!

Raven is a junior at UW-Madison majoring in Retailing and Consumer Behavior with certificates in Digital Studies and Entrepreneurship. She will be studying abroad at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia the Spring Semester of 2019.Until then, you can find her at any cafe within a two mile radius of UW-Madison watching The Office/ googling photos of Labrador Retriever puppies with a coffee in hand (unless it's monday night because that's reserved for the Bachelor).
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!