The Best Present to Give this Holiday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

For the past five months you have lived on your own time; doing whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted. Though it’s important to be selfish sometimes as a college student, it can also be easy to carry that selfishness into the holiday season. Whether it is your first time going back home for the holidays or your fifth, your presence can be the best present to give this season.

Focus on what you can give, not what you will get.

Yes, this may be the most cliché thing you are told every holiday season, but for good reason. Obsessing over what you want to receive puts the focus on yourself and takes away from what you can give to others. And honestly, the more you think about that third Alex and Ani bracelet does not make the chances of you receiving it any better.

Give the unexpected gifts.

We may have just finished working nonstop on group projects, papers and finals, but one of the best gifts you can give is your help during the holidays. It can be as simple as helping your mom with the dishes or stopping by your grandparents’ house to see if they need an extra hand with anything. No matter who you are spending your time with this holiday, there are always opportunities to give in ways that are unexpected.

Keep the arguments at bay.

You’ve missed your family like crazy, so you can only imagine that going home will be peaceful bliss, right? Oh. So. Wrong. It is crazy how easy you fall right back into the routine you had before moving to college. It will be hard, but try to keep your cool while you are home—even when you hear the dreaded “curfew.”

Reflect.

Remember when you had that really stressful week and all you wanted was a home cooked meal and hug from your mom? Try not to forget about those times while you are home. Take in every moment and cherish the time you have.

No matter who you spend your time with or where, you can always find small ways to appreciate the moment. Going home for a month can be a challenging time, but being present is so important. Take the time to focus on your loved ones, and yes, you can still be a little selfish!

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!