The Best Places in Madison to Ring in Your 21st Birthday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Waiting for your 21st birthday can be like waiting for paint to dry—it feels like that special day is taking forever to arrive. The days can feel even longer if you’re one of the younger ones amongst your friends. Luckily, when that important day rolls around, you can celebrate that special occassion in a great selection of bars and restaurants Madison has to offer. From rowdy college bars to places to go with the fam, there is a solid lineup to choose from. Some bars even offer birthday deals! Whatever vibe you’re feeling, you should consider checking out the following places:  

1. The Nitty Gritty

A true Madison bar that gives you free drinks all night! Simply show up on your birthday (when you’re 21, of course) and ask for your birthday mug. You can get free refills of beer and discounted mixed drinks for the rest of the night!

2. Wando’s

You always see the Instagram pictures and Snapchats of the famous giant fishbowls, now it’s YOUR turn to order one! Wando’s is the only bar in town that supplies these sugar rushes.

3. Chasers

Besides the incredible jumbo margaritas, having the option to be outside is huge. Chasers has a great patio area that is almost as big as the bar itself. Talk about a great place to celebrate those summer birthdays!

4. The Kollege Klub (KK)  

Who doesn’t want to party in a dungeon/basement?  Maybe all of us, but the dance floor and Long Islands are worth it.   

5. Red Rock Saloon

We’ve all seen the automatic bull and have always wanted to jump on it. Now that you’re finally 21, you can let loose like a cowboy and ride it out.

6. Lucille

If you’ve always wanted to check out some of the bars on the Square, this is one of the bests. The drinks are amazing, but the dance floor is the absolute best part. The building used to be a bank vault, but now they just turn the vault into a dance floor at night.

7. The Terrace at Memorial Union

Is your family in town for your big day? The Terrace is a great place to bring them to (during the warmer months of the year). The days of dreaming about having a pitcher at the Terrace are finally over. You can now relax while drinking a Wisconsin-brewed beer, like Spotted Cow, with an amazing view of Lake Mendota.  

8. DLUX

They have the best bottomless Mimosas in Madison— for $12, you can enjoy as many Mimosas as you please. So if you’re not into the bar scene, definitely consider going for some bottomless mimosas at DLUX.

You won’t be disappointed if you visit any of the bars above for a fun night out. So let loose and enjoy your 21st— you only turn 21 once. (Side note: If your birthday is during the week, always check out each bar’s daily deals. A lot of bars have great deals during the week, from $4 jumbo margaritas to 25 cent rails, you’ll always find a deal.)

Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!