Best Library Brain Food

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

As a girl who spends hours upon hours every day studying in the library, I have recently earned my title as a full-time library resident. My friends and family regularly poke fun at me for not receiving fresh air due to the considerable time I spend crammed within the stacks. And while I may not always get an ample amount of sunlight, I do ALWAYS eat. I have mastered the ultimate task of sneaking non-crunchy food into the library and remaining energized and focused on my work. Here are the seven best brain empowering foods to snack on in the library!

1.     String Cheese

String cheese is an excellent snack to munch on while studying in the stacks. Not only is string cheese a viable source of protein, but also they will prevent death stares from people sitting next to you due to loud chewing. Additionally, string cheese is the perfect size to throw in your backpack, pocketbook or jacket pocket without making a mess!

2.     Clif Bars

Unlike other energy bars, Clif bars do not make the cringing crunching noise when taking a bite. There are numerous types of Clif bars, allowing you to choose from a vast assortment of flavors and sizes. Clif bars are also organically made and provide a sufficient amount of energy when hitting the books!

3.     Little Bites Muffins

These sweet little treats are not only delicious but also low-cal! Little Bites Muffins contain 0g of trans fat as well as 0g of fiber, contributing to its healthy nutritional value. If you are ever craving a slight sugar rush to get some work done, Little Bites Muffins are the perfect snack for you!

4.     Warm Pita and Hummus

Pita and Hummus are the best combo to quietly eat while studying. Hummus provides sources of magnesium and iron, essential elements needed to get the brain churning. If soft or warmed up, pita serves as a wonderful complement to hummus, remaining quiet and keeping the body full for a couple of hours.

5.     Dried Fruit

Who wouldn’t want to nosh on dried fruit while preparing for an exam!? This savory snack comes in a variety of sweet and zesty forms including dates, prunes, raisins, pears, mangos, apricots, peaches and more! Dried fruit also contains some levels of vitamin C, a vital contributor to the maintenance of the immune system.

6.     Cherry Tomatoes

Cherry tomatoes provide that tangy and flavorful taste that boosts energy levels and wakes you up! This freshening snack is rich in vitamin C and A, enhancing important bodily functions necessary for studying efficiently. Additionally, cherry tomatoes are neatly packaged in small containers, making them easy and to eat in the library!

7.     Sliced Turkey

Sliced turkey contributes to a wide range of dietary needs, serving as a nutritious source of energy and protein! This fresh produce is available in most markets, delis and grocery stores so it is extremely accessible to purchase. This snack will provide you with the brainpower you need to get down to business and remain focused on your work!

Studying days can be long sometimes, so make sure to take time to recharge. When you are about to hit your breaking point, boost your study session with one or two of these nutritious and delicious snacks!

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!