Best Hot Chocolate in Madison

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year.  With holiday cheer, winter glitz, and dazzling snow flurries, winter certainly has its advantages—including the idea of being encouraged to drink multiple cups of hot chocolate per day.  Though it is certainly a convenient option to trek to the nearest Walgreens and buy Swiss Miss packages in bulk, I would advise straying from this frugal path and giving one of these cafes or chocolate shops a try.  Hot chocolate should be an experience, not a convenience.  Refer to the list below for the most prime hot chocolate locales that will leave you with soaring dopamine levels and a cozy buzz.  

3. Espresso Royale

Though predominantly recognized for its espresso-based beverages (it is technically a coffee shop, after all), Espresso Royale has some of the best hot chocolate concoctions in the Madison area.  In addition to the standard hot chocolate, Espresso Royale also has mint hot chocolate and Mexican hot chocolate.   All three of the hot chocolate variations are equally good.  Generally, the hot chocolate at Espresso Royale has a mildly bitter flavor intermingled with hints of sweet chocolate.  Personally, I do not normally go for hot chocolate that leans towards the bitter spectrum in taste, but Espresso Royale makes it work.  

2. Kilwins

Actually a chocolate shop, Kilwins on State Street knows how to combine southern comfort with a Madison twist.  Originally a chocolate and sweet shop based in the South, I was delighted to discover that there is a Kilwins in Madison as well, and in a great location near the Capitol! Their chocolate is extraordinary and the hot chocolate is no exception.  Milk-chocolate based and topped with ample whipped cream and a chocolate drizzle, if one is looking for traditionally sweet hot chocolate with quality flavor, Kilwins is the place to go. 

1. Michelangelo’s

Throughout my hot beverage tasting endeavors, I have discovered that there seems to be a pattern, in which a café cannot have both exceptional hot chocolate and coffee.  Michelangelo’s is the exception to this rule.  Though the majority of people go to Michelangelo’s for their incredible espresso-based drinks, I highly recommend straying from your traditional coffee order and trying a hot chocolate from there.  If you’re looking for a smooth, perfectly sweet, and creamy taste, you will not be disappointed.  I recommend asking for a shot of vanilla, as the combination is delightful.   

’Tis the season for warm, holiday beverages and hot chocolate is definitely one of the winter drink MVP’s.  Ditch the generic grocery store brands, put on your snuggest winter boots, and get a cup from one of these three destinations.  Happiness is guaranteed! 

My name is Caroline Szachnowski and I am a writer for the Her Campus University of Wisconsin chapter. I am a junior majoring in creative writing and international studies with the aspiration to be a professional writer and/or editor post graduation. My hobbies other than writing include learning and speaking foreign languages, traveling, reading, frequent shopping binges, going to the beach whenever possible, volunteering, and drinking way too much coffee.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!