books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Best Books to Curl Up to on a Cold Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

When it’s so cold outside that your body goes numb, you certainly don’t want to leave the comfort of your own bed. But let’s face it, after hours on Netflix and online shopping, your brain turns to mush. In order to engage your mind without changing out of your pj’s, here are the best books to curl up to on a chilly day.

1. The Lying Game by Ruth Ware

You will be up all night reading this spine-tingling mystery! Find out what happens when a 17-year-old secret unravels and reveals more than expected. 

2. When Life Gives you Lululemons by Lauren Weisberger

If you’re a fan of The Devil Wears Prada, you will absolutely love this book. This hilarious quick read reminds you that you should always fight for what’s right, especially with your girls.

3. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriary

If you haven’t already binge-watched the infamous show (or even if you have), start reading ASAP. Learn more about your favorite Monterey characters through this psychological thriller. 

4. Sisters First by Jenna Bush Hager and Barbara Pierce Bush

This emotional and funny book gives you a behind the scenes look to the lives of twins growing up in the White House. Needless to say, read this book alongside your sister. 

5. It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover

This book will tug at your heart and will remind you how fragile love really is. WARNING: read with tissues nearby. 

6. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

A heartwarming novel that teaches you about compassion and loneliness — a reminder to embrace your quirks and stay true to yourself.

7. Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty

Another success by #1 New York Times bestselling author Liane Moriary, Nine Perfect Strangers will leave you at the edge of your seat. You’ll be scared and humored and find strangers becoming your friend. 

8. The Subtle Art of not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson

This book reminds you that it’s OK to give up. It lays out the practical steps you need to take in order to live your best life. 

No matter what you’re into, you can always find a good book. Don’t judge a book by its cover and stay warm!

Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!