This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

In case you missed it, this year Madison, Wisconsin was voted as the #1 College Football Town by Sports Illustrated. So yeah, you could say game days are kind of a big deal here. Whether you’re a freshman excited for your first football season, a senior enjoying their victory lap, or an alumnus soaking in all the memories: here are some helpful game day tips to make the most of your football experience and enjoy celebrating with your fellow Badgers.   

Be Prepared For Crowds 

Everyone loves game days. Therefore, if you’re trying to hit up a restaurant for brunch or stop at the bars for a drink before the game, be prepared for long lines and a decent wait. Either buffer in time accordingly or try to go early. 

Plan Your Outfit the Night Before 

You most likely have your Saturday all planned out full of friends, food, and football. You don’t want to waste time in the morning struggling to decide what to wear. Having your outfit pre-planned saves a ton of time and gets you out the door and into the festivities faster. 

Know What Is/Is Not Allowed 

Camp Randall has had some policy changes in recent years. As of 2019, the only bags allowed are wristlets or clear bags matching the dimensions in the link. That means no fanny packs – a common point of confusion. Luckily the campus bookstore and several stores on State Street have plenty of these clear bags available for purchase.

Double Check Everything Before You Leave 

You would be surprised how many people get caught up in the rush and get all the way to the tailgate only to forget important items like their phone, ID, or even their ticket to the game. Yes, it happens. Do yourself a favor and double-check your bag before you head out. 

Know Which Student Section You Want 

It disrupts the flow of people entering the stadium when your group stops mid-walkway to discuss the pros and cons of different student sections. Section O is famous for its “O” call. Section K is closest to the band. Sections L and M are the most central viewing points. You get the idea: there are pros and cons to each area. Decide amongst your group quickly as you move up in the ticket line, and have some backup favorites too in case your prime section is filled. 

Be Prepared for Snack Stand Lines 

The classic mistake is getting food and drinks during half-time. That’s what everyone does; therefore, the lines can get pretty long, and before you know it you’re missing the halftime show while waiting in line for a pretzel. A good idea is to go slightly before halftime in the second quarter. An even better idea is to go at a time completely different than everyone else, like during the 1st or 3rd quarter, to beat the lines.

Behave

Stadium security is no joke. If security is coming your way, odds are you’re not being as funny as you think you are. They will escort you out of the stadium while everyone stares and pulls out their phones to put you on their snap story. Be respectful. Everyone else wants to watch the game and have fun too. 

Accept the Chaos 

All in all: it’s game day. Things can get wild. Don’t take things too personally if someone bumps into you. You will also definitely have to do some crowd weaving to get where you’re going. It can be loud and hectic, but the energy in Camp Randall is electric. Your best bet is to go with the flow and have fun. Game days are a special time when everyone is out and about showing their Badger pride. You may run into an old roommate you haven’t seen in years or even someone from your hometown you weren’t expecting. The possibilities are endless so enjoy the day.

With all of these tips in mind, enjoy game day in Madison, and experience for yourself what makes us #1. Have fun, be safe, and Go Badgers!

Lauren Ryan

Wisconsin '20

Lauren is a senior double majoring in Marketing and Operations and Technology Management, with a certificate in Supply Chain Management. 
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.