david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Aussie Badger takes Halloween in America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

In America, Halloween is kind of a big deal. The 31st of October is a widely celebrated holiday, so much so that I had high expectations. I was not disappointed! The signs of Halloween appeared a couple of weeks earlier than I expected, much like the Christmas decorations over a month early in Target.

Apparently, some neighborhoods in America decorate their houses with Halloween decorations. I expected the pumpkins, but I was unprepared for the witches and white wispy fabric with fairy lights from veranda to balcony and back. I was impressed to say the least. Milwaukee had their Halloween game on point. I can only imagine how much fun the kids in that neighborhood had trick-or-treating!

Whilst I didn’t get the opportunity to trick-or-treat (I’m too old apparently), pumpkin carving was in the cards. We tried, we really did. Evidently, a decent pumpkin carving requires experience and that we did not have. Our Aussie flag pumpkin was sadly subpar, although having a go was a lot of fun.

My favorite part of Halloween was the costumes. Getting an idea, shopping for it and finally wearing it was a blast. I think there are two types of people when it comes to costume planning: those who leave it to the last minute and those who use costume planning as a medium of study procrastination.

I was actually both. I wasn’t sure how many nights I needed costumes for (it turned out to be two). So whilst I procrastinated my college work getting an idea for the first night, the second night turned out to be a last minute affair where I borrowed my roommate’s costume from the first night because she, like me, didn’t feel like wearing it again.

Back to the first-night costume planning: many hours were consumed perusing Pinterest for that “perfect” costume. I mean, this was my first American Halloween, I had to have a mint costume. Do I go with the squad as Disney Princesses? Do I go as a punny gold digger or a unicorn? It’s character defining, I tell you.

What was the verdict? The bad grades I will likely receive can be attributed to the first-night gold digger costume. This included overdressing in gold knee-high, high-heeled boots and a gold dress with a helmet and shovel to match. I highly recommend this costume. The second night was more of a fluoro monstrosity, as I dressed as an over-the-top pink unicorn, complete with a horn – another costume I highly recommend. Of course, I could not let all this shameless costume plugging go to waste without mention of the support Goodwill (aka your local Vinnies) provided me. A couple of hours in Goodwill and all your Halloween costume needs will be met.

I also think some other people had a great time in Goodwill, as well, because I wasn’t the only one with an awesome costume. In fact, there were thousands. On the night of Halloween itself, Madison hosts Freakfest on State Street, which is a small festival of live music acts that everyone can enjoy! Most of the fun to be had was seeing the whole community of Madison out and about in their costumes. I saw too many cool costumes that night to pick a favorite! So, that pretty much rounds out my Halloween experience: America,

This Aussie badger is 19, studying abroad and loving it! I'm only here for a little while but I plan to make the most of it and give you every insight on what it means to be an "Aussie badger" :) read my articles for the full info!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!