The Art of Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Shopping is an art and like any form of art you need to practice to get better.

Get better at what exactly? Deal hunting.

When you think of a good deal, Urban Outfitters probably doesn’t come to mind, but if you’re patient you can make it work.

Signing up on the site will alert you about sales and special events like their college nights, which normally gives a big discount on sale items and a smaller discount on regular priced merchandise.

Not only that, but often just by shopping you get coupons for 10% off your next purchase. These coupons are great to use on brands that don’t go on sale often like Converse, butter London, and Steve Madden.

Another great thing about buying from a retailer instead of a brand is some items go on clearance that wouldn’t otherwise. NYX and Stilia are two popular makeup brands to keep your eye on in UO stores and online, for example right now the Wicked Dreams palette by Nyx is on sale for $9.99 instead of $15 like everywhere else.

Another great way to get deals on more expensive brands is to wait for their family and friends sales.  A lot of department stores have these sales and these discounts range from 15-40% off. This is a great time to purchase expensive shoes or makeup.

Other brands like GAP and Urban Decay also have this sale. If you don’t know an employee at GAP and they don’t have any coupons in the store, then try looking for a coffee shop in the mall. As an employee of a mall coffee shop kiosk I can promise you stores were always hanging up coupons on our community board.

Some other easy tips are to look for apps on your smart phone that can scan barcodes and check for price listings. Amazon has one specifically for their site. Another good idea is to sign up for free reward cards. Ulta, Walgreens, and Aerie all have free reward programs where you can slowly earn points or credit over several purchases and then redeem them for something free.

Finally, never underestimate a thrift store. Clothes shopping can be difficult, but just go online and look for some DIY for shirts and a thrift shop will have just what you need. They’re especially helpful when looking for furniture or decorations. There are thousands of tutorials that teach you how to refurnish items and make them look exactly the way you want.

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com