All You Need to Know About the Suspicious Packages Sent to Influential Figures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

A series of 12 bomb packages have been sent out this week to 10 different recipients, starting on Monday when liberal billionaire George Soros received a package at his home in Bedford, New York. Officials say it was not dropped off by the postal service and was likely hand delievered. 

A package addressed to Hilary Clinton was intercepted during a routine mail screening on Tuesday night. 

On Wednesday morning, a suspicious package was sent back to the return address of Democratic Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz; the package was initially sent to former US Attorney General Eric Holder, but it had the wrong address. 

Around 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, CNN headquarters in New York City was evacuated after intercepting a package intended for former CIA Director John Brennan. Later on Wednesday, Maryland screening services discovered a bomb addressed to Democratic Rep. Maxine Waters in California. Wednesday night another package was found addressed to the Obama’s home in Washington D.C. 

On early Thursday morning, police found a package addressed to actor Robert DeNiro at the Tribeca Film Center. Authorities also located two packages addressed to former Vice President Joe Biden. 

Many thought the threatening packages might have been coming to a stop, but another package was found Friday morning addressed to New Jersey Democrat Sen. Cory Booker, and the 12th package was intercepted, addressed to James Clapper, former Director of National Intelligence. 

Authorities believe many of the packages may have originated in Florida and are still investigating. None of the bombs were activated and officials are questioning whether the bombs were being used as a scare tactic or if they were really planned to detonate. 

These packages are being viewed as a form of terrorism in an attempt to intimidate the Democratic leaders of our country. The commonality between all recipients of these packages is their public criticism of Trump and Trump’s public criticism of them. 

Trump recently accused George Soros of paying women to make false accusations against politicians like Brett Kavanaugh. Soros’s Open Society Foundation is one of the largest philanthropies in the country, and he donates generously to the Democratic Party. 

Eric Holder, former US Attorney General, has been under Republican party scrutiny since the Obama Administration for his outspoken views on race issues but especially since earlier this month when he called for Democrats to take to the polls and outvote the Republicans. 

US. Rep Maxine Waters of California, was strongly condemned for calling upon our nation’s Democrats to confront the Trump Administration in public whenever possible. This past June, she called for protests and public harassment of Trump cabinet members after their restrictions on immigration and the development of child detention centers along the southern border. Her words caused much Republican criticism and even some democratic criticism as well. 

Robert DeNiro has been opposed to the Trump Administration from the start. He supported Hilary Clinton’s campaign and has mentioned Trump multiple times at award ceremonies, apologizing to Canadians about Trump’s idiotic behavior. 

The pattern of the packages has been made quite clear, and many, like former CIA Director John Brennan, blame Trump’s hateful speeches for the animosity in our country. When Trump responded to the bomb scares this week by saying that mainstream media has to clean up its act fast, Brennan responded, “Your inflammatory rhetoric, insults, lies, & encouragement of physical violence are disgraceful. Clean up your act….try to act Presidential.”

As of last night, authorities have arrested one person, 56-year-old Cesar Sayoc, they believe to be connected with the wave of suspicious packages. Authorities are doing everything they can to investigate their leads and track down the origins of these packages. 

Sarah Anderson

Wisconsin '22

Sarah is from the Chicago suburbs and is a sophomore at University of Wisconsin-Madison hoping studying marketing and environmental science. She spends her time making art and music with friends.
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!