Alec Hoge, President of UW Acapella Group, Redefined

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Why and when did you get involved with UW-Madison’s co-ed acaplla group, Redefined?
I got involved in Redefined after trying out my sophomore year in college.  I had actually known about the group and been a fan since high school because I knew a girl who was in it, but I was too scared to try out freshman year.  Luckily, they liked what they heard and let me in.

What does your job as president entail?
Being president is kind of a fluid job.  We all like to joke that I don’t actually do anything because I don’t have a specific job description or any major concrete duties.  It is a lot of work, though.  I’m one of the main contacts for all of the people who hire us and I organize and run meetings with the rest of our executive board. I also lead discussions during practice about things like solo auditions, which songs we’re going to sing, and I’m the person people talk to if they ever have problems or concerns (which fortunately almost never happens).

What has been your favorite arrangement to perform and why?
My favorite arrangement was probably “Big Machine” by the Goo Goo Dolls.  We sang it my sophomore year and it was one of the first songs I ever learned.  I liked it in particular because it was really challenging to learn, but fun as hell to sing once we learned it.  The guy who sang the solo on it was also dynamite.

Do you have a favorite memory from your time as a member of Redefined?
It’s really hard to pinpoint a particular memory because I’ve had so much fun during my time with the group.  Any time we go on a weekend trip to someone’s home town or to a different gig we always have a blast.  Whenever we get 18 people together at an after party it’s always awesome.

What’s the biggest perk of being in a group like this?
The biggest perk for me is just being able to do something I really like.  We have incredibly supportive friends, family, and fans who come to our shows and listen to us perform.  It’s very cool to sing for over 1,000 people at a time, and I think that’s something that a lot of people don’t ever have a chance to do.  I feel really fortunate that I get to do that.  

What’s a fun fact about Redefined that some of our readers might not know?
One fact that people might not know is that a recording of one of our songs, a Nintendo Video Game Medley, recently went over 3 million views on Youtube.  The version was recorded before I was in the group, but I’m still very proud that so many people have responded to some of our work.  

Katie is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications.