This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

As someone who transferred to a new school last year, I know it can be a big change. It can be stressful, and there is a lot of uncertainty in the air. Every transfer journey will be different, but there are ways to make the transition as seamless as possible.

Join organizations at your new school

This might be the most obvious piece of advice that everyone tells you, but I have to agree that it is one of the best things you can do to get adjusted to a new school. You can meet people to feel less isolated, explore new hobbies and get more immersed in your school’s culture. Don’t give up if one club doesn’t work out either! There will be plenty more to explore. A good rule of thumb if you’re not sure what types of clubs to look for is to join one “fun” club and one more career-based club. 

Get some college gear

It might seem superficial, but it can really help you feel connected to your new college. Stop by your bookstore and pick out some cute items to represent your new school! You’ll be happy that you did.

Do some research on your new school

woman touring college campus
Original photo by Samantha LaPorta

See what types of classes they offer, what the best spots around campus are and what the social life is like. Lots of students post college videos on YouTube that can also be helpful. This will give you a better idea of the school so you won’t be blindsided when you get there. A little bit of extra research goes a long way!

Try to leave your current college on a good note so you can have a fresh start

You’re starting a new chapter at your new school, so make sure you successfully close the chapter at your old one. It will be harder to transition if you constantly think about your life at your old college. You also don’t want to be bitter about your experience there, so try to find the positives so you can look back fondly at the school.

Find school resources to help you

Many schools have a Facebook group that can connect you to fellow transfer students or advisors on campus. Your school will definitely have resources to help your concerns, so reach out to them. It is their job to help you and they genuinely want to. 

Have an open and positive attitude about your new school

A good attitude is so important, especially in stressful situations. Think about all the new opportunities you will have at this new school and how it will be a good change for you. Make sure to keep that attitude for the rest of your academic career too!

Transferring can seem daunting but it doesn’t have to be. These are just a few tips to help your journey as you start a new chapter of your life. You got this!

Ava Calpino

Wisconsin '22

Ava Calpino is a senior strategic communication major at UW Madison. She previously wrote for LMU's chapter. She loves writing, the environment, and cute animals.