This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Biggie Smalls, Tupac, Kendrick Lamar — what do these men all have in common?  They are quintessential hip-hop artists whose work has shaped and crafted the music that we hear and love today. Hip-hop music has its origin steeped in Black and Latino urban culture in the early 1960’s and has now taken over pop culture today. Many can identify with hundreds of artists, such as Run-D.M.C, Snoop Dogg, Daddy Yankee and Post Malone. But one group today is taking the hip-hop world by storm and introducing a new cultural flair to hip-hop music — 88rising.

88rising was founded in 2015 by Sean Miyashiro and Jaeson Ma. It is a mass media company with a focus on Asian talent. So, what makes this company so special? 88rising is revolutionizing the world of hip-hop through diversifying the community by including Asian artists across all general platforms: EDM to hip-hop. The success of 88rising began with rapper Keith Ape and his song “It G Ma,” which features predominant Western hip-hop artists ASAP Ferg, Waka Flocka Flame and Anderson. Paak. Success of “It G Ma” is what raised interest of investors, soon after the release of “Dat $tick” by Rich Brian was heard by members of 88rising. Rich Brian was signed to 88rising in 2016. He then started putting out hits such as “Chaos” and “Glow Like Dat.”

Rich Brian brought attention to 88rising and this popularity allowed the group to rise. Soon after, 88rising signed Joji (previously known for his comedy work on YouTube under the name Filthy Frank). It was Joji that brought major attention to the work of 88rising after the release of the album “BALLADS 1,” which rose to the top of the U.S. R&B charts and brought the group into a new spotlight in the west.

The importance of 88rising goes beyond creating new music — it is tapping into a huge creative market in Asia. They are empowering Asian hip-hop artists to spread their voice and sound in the influential industry. 88rising strives to go above and beyond a music label. Their creativity and direction connect the artists with markets worlds apart. 

If you’re still not convinced about this amazing group, then check out some of their work:

Tequila Sunrise — 88rising

Poolside Manor — 88rising 

SLOW DANCING IN THE DARK — Joji 

Midsummer Madness — 88rising

Little Prince — Rich Brian feat. NIKI

Indigo — 88rising 

Lowkey — NIKI

Shouldn’t, Couldn’t, Wouldn’t — 88rising

Claire Michel

Wisconsin '23

Hey there, hi there, ho there! I'm Claire, a sophomore studying Life Science Communications and Italian. I love my city Minneapolis, cooking (mostly eating), being with friends, and finding the best deals on clothes!
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.