A Review of Jennette McCurdy’s Memoir, I’m Glad My Mom Died

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

A look inside the iCarly star’s childhood

Trigger warning: the memoir contains discussion of emotional/sexual abuse and eating disorders

When I think of Jennette McCurdy, I am brought back to my childhood. Days spent watching her play Sam Puckett on the hit show iCarly, whacking a butter stick and eating fried chicken. While I certainly have fond memories of Jennette McCurdy, reading her memoir, I’m Glad My Mom Died, has made me see her in a new way. I now see her as a real person who has gone through so much, and in return, so much to share with the world. 

The name of her memoir is striking. I mean, you’re glad your mom died? Definitely a head-turner. The title, and my childhood association with McCurdy is what made me pick up the book. But it is McCurdy’s vulnerability, humor and brutal honesty that kept me reading. 

The memoir takes the reader through all stages of McCurdy’s life. From the time she is a small child first being put in acting, to when she is celebrating her 26th birthday. The main focus of the book is her mother and the relationship between the two of them as McCurdy was growing up. It is made clear from the beginning that McCurdy’s mother is abusive in many ways. We as readers can see the abuse because we are adults with the ability to identify those signs. However, six year old McCurdy could not do that. This is one of the reasons I am so fond of the memoir. McCurdy tells her life story through the lens of who she was at the time, so we are able to see her world exactly as she saw it. It felt like growing up with her. 

She found a way to tell the stories of abuse and hurt in a way that allows readers to see how she did not recognize the abuse at the time. She lets us into the innermost corners of her brain, showing readers exactly how she had analyzed the situation and what she believed to be the truth back then. This kind of vulnerability made her entire story feel close and personal. 

McCurdy remains humorous despite the terrible circumstances she found herself in. Her writing is quick, witty and engaging. From laugh-out-loud moments to audibly sighing and clutching my heart, McCurdy brought me on a rollercoaster of emotions through her writing. Readers get a clear picture of who she was and what she was feeling even when it may feel uncomfortable. While the memoir is not particularly graphic, she details very traumatic moments in her childhood that make your heart ache. She also moves into adulthood and shows readers the steps she is taking in her recovery. 

Reading I’m Glad My Mom Died was an emotional experience, but a really great one. McCurdy’s willingness to be honest and open made for an incredible memoir that any and everyone should read. 

Mckenna Laurent

Wisconsin '25

Mckenna is a Junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She is studying English literature. Along with being a section editor for Her Campus, she is a Senior Coordinator for the University Tutoring Service. Mckenna loves reading, baking, and watching New Girl!