9 Misconceptions about Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Freshman year marks a significant yet hectic transition for any 18-year-old moving away from home for the first time. However, there’s no way for any freshman to be completely prepared because there are many misconceptions about freshman year! Having gone through a semester myself, here are a few common misconceptions that I’ve noticed:  

1. I woke up at 6:30 a.m. in high school, an 8 a.m. won’t be bad at all

For some reason that no one can explain, waking up early is just harder in college. There’s something about walking 15 minutes to class in the freezing cold that’ll make you do anything to avoid leaving your bed.

2. My dorm room is going to look like it’s straight off of Pinterest

Decorations can start to look more like a cluttered mess, and there’s only so much you can do to spruce up cinder block walls and linoleum floors.

3. I’m going to get straight A’s easily

It won’t be as easy as you think. Some classes are obviously harder than others, but getting those A’s is going to be more of a challenge than it was in high school.

4. Dining hall food can’t be that different from home cooking

Dining hall food may seem good at first; there are so many options everywhere! You can fill up your plate with mac and cheese, pizza and a brownie just because you can. After a couple months though, you won’t want anything from the dining hall anymore. Oh, what you would do for some of mom’s spaghetti…

5. I won’t spend that much money

Your money disappears faster than you think — even with the “super strict” budget you planned for yourself before school.

6. I have to make all my friends in the first week

Chances are, you’ll walk around in a huge group like this for the first couple of days and nights. However, there are so many times, ways and places to make friends. The people you meet in the first week don’t have to be your be-all and end-all.

7. Gaining the Freshmen 15 is inevitable

If you stay motivated enough and manage your time well, there will be plenty of time in the week to get active and work out.

8. People skip class all the time

You’ll soon find that skipping class all the time just isn’t an option if you’re still striving for those straight A’s. Most people who care about their future goes to class!

9. I’m going to drift apart from my friends back home

You’ll be able to reconnect with your friends back home at Thanksgiving or Christmas without skipping a beat. It will be like you never left! Make sure you take some time to FaceTime them and keep the group chat going while you’re at school.

Freshman year of college can be an exciting — but scary — time for any 18-year-old. Preparing yourself by disregarding these misconceptions can make the transition a little bit easier!

Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!