8 Reasons You Wish You Were a Basic B*tch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Basic girls these days have a reputation for being unoriginal and often unintelligent. However, the truth is that there is a reason behind every trend deemed overused and “basic,” and I’m here to tell you just what you’re missing out on by trying to avoid the mainstream.

1.     Uggs are quite possibly the most comfortable shoe ever invented.

Yes, we acknowledge that it looks like there are loaves of bread on our feet, but have you ever actually slipped a pair of those babies on? Putting bows on them may not be doing much, but they are still the warmest, comfiest boots to slip on.

2. Starbucks is not only delicious, but keeps you going.

What’s with all the hate for consistently well-made coffee, fantastic customer service, and a great atmosphere for both chatting and studying? Starbucks is the go-to for more than just Pumpkin Spice Lattes, but there’s no denying a good latte can turn even the worst day around.

3. Taking pictures of everything you do leaves you with tons of memories to look back on.

Yes, the annoying extra couple seconds it takes to take a picture can add up. But you know what? When we’re looking back through our old photos years from now, all those pictures taken will be one of the few reminders of some of the best times with friends. Memories might fade, but the picture you took at your first Badger football game never will.

4. Leggings feel like pizza tastes.

You know what’s better than slipping on a pair of leggings? Buying a new pair of leggings. And that’s it.

5. Bath & Body Works has a fix and a scent for everything.

Whether the sun is shining, the leaves are falling, or you’re wrapping gifts to put under the tree, Bath & Body Works has a candle, body spray, or lotion to make us feel like a million bucks. By declaring yourself separate from all things basic, you’re only hurting yourself on this one.

6. Frozen yogurt is the ideal snack.

With endless flavor and topping combos, fro-yo is great for sweet, tart, and even salty cravings. Plus, frozen yogurt is so much healthier than ice cream to begin with, and you can take as much or little as you like. Everyone loves fro-yo, but few can recommend a flavor and toppings based on your mood.

7. Manicures include both chic nails and therapy sessions (usually).

We get to vent to a random stranger that you will only see every few weeks and you have no connections to outside of that time. Unless they’re quiet, in which case we get time to not have to worry about anything but picking which shade of red polish you want and getting pampered. Either way, it’s a win-win.

8. Pinterest is a limitless resource.

Pinterest to basic girls is like a how-to guide for everything. Want to try a new hairstyle? Pinterest offers 39,000 suggestions for medium-length locks. Need inspiration for a last-minute outfit? That girl you had biology lab with has the cutest “Date Night” board. There is no end to the resource that is Pinterest, and it’s all at the tip of one’s fingers.

Even if you’re not ready to drop everything and run to your nearest Lululemon, you now have an idea of why some of the most popular trends deemed “basic” are so popular. So next time, don’t be so hard on your friend/sister/neighbor/boyfriend’s dog for her proclamation of her love for all things Mean Girls, because there is at least a little bit of truth behind every fad.

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!