8 Reasons to Start Watching Korean Dramas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Korean drama has become a very popular TV genre in the United States and in other countries. The love for these dramas has impacted the Hallyu Wave or South Korean culture. If you are tired of watching American shows, here are some reasons to start watching Korean dramas:

1. Drama, drama, drama

Every episode is filled with drama and cliffhangers that will pull at your heartstrings — you will keep craving for more.

2. Short seasons

Unlike American shows, which usually have up to several seasons, Korean dramas only have one season that contains 16 to 20 episodes. Plus, there is no dragging in any episodes.

3. Killer soundtracks

The soundtrack evokes the emotions you feel while watching Korean drama. Plus, the melodies and beats are very enticing and will motivate you to start dancing.

4. Memorable moments

There are cute, romantic and fun moments that are actually meme-worthy.

5. Culture and language

You will be exposed to the history, culture and social norms of South Korea without fear of learning it.  As you get into watching these dramas, you’ll pick up simple phrases that are used in Korean everyday life, like “Thank you” and “Sorry.”

6. Fashion inspiration

I love Korean fashion so much — it’s like looking at a fashion lookbook. I get so much inspiration for my daily outfits from these dramas.

7. Eye-candy leading actors

One of the main reasons I like watching Korean dramas.

8. Not explicit

You won’t find any form of nudity, violence or vulgar language, which make this genre enjoyable for all ages.

Just keep in mind, once you start watching K-dramas, you won’t be able to go back to American shows!

Cynthia Ubah grew up in Maryland. She is attending University of Wisconsin-Madison pursuing International Studies with a certificate in Global Health and East Asian Studies. She hopes to work and live in South Korea for a few years. If you are looking for someone to watch Korean drama with or listen to Kpop, she is your girl. Her interests are God, cooking, hangout with friends, reading books, learning Korean, and fashion. Check out her blog at https://mylifeinthemoments.wixsite.com/mysite .