8 Cliché Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

We go to parties, we walk the streets, we go literally anywhere and see the exact same costumes during Hallo-weekend.  Where has the creativity gone?  Is it really that hard to not dress like everyone else?  Generally, as college students we piece together our costumes from stuff we already own or from thrift stores.  I mean who can afford 50 dollars (or more) to spend on a costume we are going to wear for one weekend?  If you are piecing your costume together, the possibilities are endless!  So why does everyone fall to the exact same options every year?! These are the costumes you should definitely avoid if you want to look like you have just the tiniest bit of creativity left in you. 

1)    Sexy Nurse, Cop, or any profession really

News flash, no one in that profession dresses like that.  If you’re thinking of putting a sexy spin on an otherwise normal professional uniform, stop.  Just don’t.  Sure it’s easy, but it’s just about as unoriginal as you can get.

2)    Cat

Is it really that fun to have a tail? Every year cats are turned to for Halloween costumes.  Does putting on ears and a tail really make that good of a costume?  I mean it was cute when you were four…

3)    Nerd

It was cool when Britney Spears did it, not you.

4)    Pirate

Unless you look as good as Johnny Depp did in Pirates of the Caribbean, this isn’t okay.  It’s easy, it’s over done, don’t do it.   

5)    Any Disney princess

Yet again, when you picked this out when you were a kid, it was cute.  You see that little Cinderella trick-or-treating and it’s adorable. When you are in college, not so much. . . especially if you pick out a sexy princess costume.  That’s just wrong on so many levels.

6)    The Native American

Does this even need an explanation? Do NOT, under any circumstance, EVER dress up as someone else’s culture. Culture appropriation isn’t OK.

7)    Vampire

There’s always that one girl that is still obsessing over Twilight.  It’s not popular anymore, let it go.

8)    Pop Star

Leave this to the professionals.  No one can be as good as Beyoncé, not even you.

Halloween is one of the best holidays.  If you successfully avoid dressing up as any of these, Halloween will be so much more enjoyable.   The possibilities are endless, so go out there and prove to the world that you are better than these clichés.

Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!! 
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!