This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Tips on how to be more organized

I would like to preface this article by assuring you that I am not some neat freak here to judge you on the most minute details of your organizational habits. That would create a situation that is not fun for anyone. In fact, I will let you in on a little secret: I am messy at times, just like every other human being. The perfectly organized life that you see broadcasted all over social media is simply a facade. But do not be discouraged, for that is the beauty of organization; it can be whatever you need it to be. However, sometimes it can be difficult to know where to begin, so let me give you a bit of a head start. Here is a collection of seven tips and tricks I have assembled over my whopping 18 years.

1. Get a Planner

Hands down the greatest mistake people make when it comes to organizing is believing that it is simply about physical objects. Yes, you can organize your closet and your kitchen, but so many more possibilities exist. This is why it is so important to organize your time first, then your things. Organizing your time and planning ahead does not make you boring, contrary to popular belief. Just because you take the time to roughly outline how you will spend your time does not mean there is no longer room for spontaneity. Instead, it allows you to accomplish your goals and work in time for the things you want to do. Plus, if you really feel like challenging yourself, you can even factor in some time for physical organization. So what is the best way to organize your time? I know you would have never guessed, but it is a planner!

2. Put Things Away When You Are Done With Them

Now, if you have no problem with this concept feel free to skip ahead, but if you are anything like me, this is much easier said than done. There is just something so difficult about taking the 30 seconds needed to put something back from exactly where you found it. Some call it lazy, but I, on the other hand, think of it as a fun character flaw. The fact of the matter is I know it would be easy to just throw the object into the closet or in a drawer, but just taking a moment to put it back where it originated from will make all the difference. It prevents a much larger and overwhelming build-up in the future. Trust me, it’s a place you never want to be. 

3. Find Time, Don’t Make It

I know what you are thinking: “Those are literally the same thing!” However, I beg to differ. Finding time means when you have a free minute with nothing to do, you make use of that time. Making time means trying to specifically fit organizing into your busy schedule. Doing this turns organizing into a chore, and nobody likes a chore. You will just dread this task that you are forcing yourself to complete. On the other hand, if you decide to clean in the moment, you do not spend time worrying about it and you feel much more motivated to do it. It is kind of like doing the dishes as a kid. It always sucked when your parents made you do it, but it felt pretty adult when you decided to do it on your own. 

4. Find Your Style

When I say organization, what comes to mind? A perfectly posed stock photo of someone’s perfectly asymmetrical pantry perhaps. I know sometimes it feels like you are held to a high standard when it comes to organization and cleanliness, but this is not the case. You are unique, so it is only fitting that your organization style would be unique too. How you choose to organize your life and your space does not need to make sense to anybody but you. You do not owe your judgy in-laws anything. As long as you understand your system and know where everything is, then you have received a gold star for organization in my book.

5. Embrace Colors

All right, I know I just told you to find your own style, but I would be remiss if I did not share my personal favorite with you. My advice to you, when in doubt, use the rainbow. Think way back to when you first started school. What were some of the first things you learned? I am sure colors fall somewhere in that list. Colors are nature’s coordinating system and they never fail to satisfy. This is without a doubt one of the easiest ways to generate aesthetically pleasing areas. If you want classic Pinterest pretty, organizing by color is the way to go.

6. Be Kind to Yourself

This is a really important part of organizing that is often overlooked. Remember to always be patient with yourself. Sometimes it can be hard to create a system or make that system appealing to the eye. I am here to tell you that it’s okay for things to not be perfect. When it comes to organization, trying is in fact enough. So make sure you appreciate yourself for trying and just have fun with it. Put a movie on, get a snack, and get lost in the tranquility of an engaging task. 

7. Bonus Tip: Organize Your Organizing

Organizing my organizing is hands down my favorite thing to do. It may be extra and over the top, but so am I. Plus, it is so satisfying to double organize. What I mean by this is simply create a checklist of the things you want to organize. For example, my list currently consists of my t-shirt drawer, my backpack and my plans for next semester. This way, you know what you want to accomplish. And who doesn’t love checking something off a to-do list? Additionally, it is a super easy way to seem like an organizing freak, if that is the persona you wish to embody.

I am going to be straightforward with you: being organized is hard. Thus, if you are ever feeling overwhelmed, just remember that you can be organized because you do it all the time. Most, if not all, of our daily tasks involve organization in some way, even if you do not realize it. Catching the bus, video games and grocery shopping are just a few examples of organization at work. So before you count yourself out, just remember that you already are organized. But hey, it never hurts to improve.

Kendall Callery

Wisconsin '26

Kendall is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a Managing Editor for UW's Her Campus chapter. Writing is a way for her to share her bold takes and unique personality. Not only is she a perfectionist at heart but she is also a coffee, baked goods, and horror movies addict.