7 Things All Badgers Are Thankful For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The second the clock ticks to midnight on November 1st, many of us (myself included) immediately start to get Christmas on the brain. But before we get to the season of giving gifts, it’s important for us to celebrate the season of giving thanks. As a student at UW-Madison, I realized that there are many things about this wondrous campus of mine for which I am thankful – and I’m sure you all are too. Here are seven things that all Badgers are thankful for this Thanksgiving season:

Abe

First of all, how many college campuses have a majestic statue of arguable the greatest president to ever exist? Not many is my guess. Without Abe, where would we turn to when we need a little extra luck before an exam? And I know all of us are looking forward to our post-graduation cuddle with him. Thanks Abe, don’t go changin’.

State Street

Our State Street is unique for a multitude of reasons. It’s got the perfect mix of little local shops, restaurants and large chains, and the fact that no cars can drive down it makes State Street feel like its own little world. There is also something simply beautiful about being able to stare down the street and see the Capital at the very end.

Game days

What other time, in the year or in our lives, is it perfectly acceptable to wake up and drink at 7:30 a.m. and then casually take a three hour nap at five o’clock in the afternoon? Game days result in an outpouring of school spirit like I’ve never seen at any other place, and they have given us some incredible memories that we don’t take for granted.

Our two lakes

While many schools don’t have any lakes, we’ve got two. Double the lakes means double the water activities, double the scenic views and double the beauty of our campus in general. Whether you’re on Mendota or Monona, there’s nothing quite like enjoying a beer with friends while looking over the lake. Yeah, life’s pretty good on our little isthmus.

Our amazing sports teams

As far as our sports teams go, we’ve basically hit the jackpot. Not only do our sports teams actually win the majority of their games unlike some schools (*cough, cough* Minnesota), but in the past few years we’ve made it to several bowl games in football, back to back Final Four appearances and a NCAA championship in men’s basketball and a national championship appearance in volleyball—just to name a few. Considering our football team was lucky to win a game back when our parents were in school and the basketball team hadn’t made it to the Final Four in 14 years, I think we’re pretty lucky to have the teams we have. And if their success wasn’t enough, our players are just really cool people.

Both of our unions

Less is not more when it comes to our student unions, and we have two great ones on either side of campus. Memorial Union’s prime lake location and Union south’s position near the hub of campus give each union a unique draw, and both are home to great food, events and places to study and hangout with friends.

Bucky

Bucky Badger – only the greatest mascot to ever exist in the collegiate world. Don’t believe me? Take a look.

Thanks Bucky, just for doing you.

At the end of the day, I couldn’t be more thankful to be a part of this amazing university and a member of the Badger Family. On Wisconsin, Badgers and Happy Thanksgiving!

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!