7 Survival Tips for Beating This Heat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s October, and it’s nearly 80 degrees out— so if you’re like me, then you might burn quite easily in the sun and have spent the last few days as a sweaty tomato. On the other hand, you may be a sunshine goddess whose hair always sparkles in the light, and you’ve never purchased aloe vera in your life. If you’re the latter, then PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU DO THAT. If you’re the former, then here are some helpful tips for how we can all survive this heat wave without getting over-dried or over-fried.  

1. Drink water

I know it sounds simple, but I cannot stress this enough. If you are sweating, your body is losing water. Replenish it! An observation I’ve made about the water bottle refill stations here at UW-Madison is that the older buildings, such as Agricultural Hall, tend to produce warm water from the fountains (ew!). However, the water from the fountains in the Noland Zoology Building? Now that water is CRISP. Do what you will with this info; but in conclusion, hydration is a major key.

2. Stick to the shade

Shade is not just for throwing—so let your inner vampire guide you on your walk to class. Those few precious moments of cool air can be a lifesaver when you don’t have time to make a pit stop into some A/C on your walk to class.

3. Invest in a personal fan

Fans are the MOVE during this heat wave. There are so many different varieties available. There are even fans that plug into your phone! Hello, effortlessly windblown selfies! Will you look extra AF? Perhaps. Will you look nearly as sweaty as the person next to you? No, ma’am.

4. Eat cool food

Do you need another reason to eat ice cream?? If you do, come see me—I have come up with quite a few over the years. Your body is alive and needs a treat to cool down. Go treat yourself!

5. Wear a hat

A hat can save your day in more ways than one. It can keep the sun off your face, hide the sweat that’s drenching your hairline, or even be an impromptu signal to others that says “help! My thighs are stuck to the seat, and I’d prefer not to rip off a layer of skin today!”

6. Strut your sunglasses

Besides making you look super chic, sunglasses help protect your eyes from UV-rays. Take it from someone who has gotten a sunburn on her eyes before—it’s not fun. Shades on, ladies!

7. This is the time for sweat-proof clothing…

Athleisure wear, this is your time to shine! Loose clothing is the best in extreme heat. I’m talking about tank tops, water-wicking fabric, loose running shorts and even sports bras, if your heart desires. You’re going to sweat, folks, so why not appear athletic at the same time? (Yes, BOOM BABY! Indeed, Emperor Kuzco.)

8. …Or Super-breezy clothing

If you’re not going to let this weather kill your vibe, then I applaud you for putting in the effort to still look cute in this weather. Flowy dresses, skirts, bralettes and tank tops will totally show you’re a weather-adapting machine. It’s survival of the fittest at its best.

Of course, this is only a short list of all the possible ways to stay cool these next few days; so if you see someone looking suspiciously untethered by this heat, I encourage you to ask them for their secret. That’s right, talking about the weather does make for good conversation at times! Now if anyone else needs me, I’ll be over here trying not to be touched by the sweaty arms of those siting next to me.

Lauren Ryan

Wisconsin '20

Lauren is a senior double majoring in Marketing and Operations and Technology Management, with a certificate in Supply Chain Management.