7 Steps for Nailing Your Next Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Internship season is upon us—and that also means that it’s time to brush up on our interviewing skills. You’ve already won your potential employers over with your outstanding résumé and flawless list of references. Now is your time to show off your sparkling personality and show them why you absolutely deserve this position! Here are a few simple steps to help you get through the most intimidating part of getting your dream job:

Step 1: Do your research.

When it comes to interviews, it’s important that you’ve done your research beforehand. The best way to do this is through the company’s website and to familiarize yourself with their mission statement, products, management team, etc. You may also want to do a quick Google search of your interviewer so that you are aware of what he or she does within the company. Before you go into any interview you want to make sure that you completely understand the company and the job description for the position for which you are interviewing.

Step 2: Dress for success.

Sure it’s a little cliché but first impressions are critical. You are marketing a product—yourself—to a potential employer and the first thing that they’re going to notice is what you’re wearing. Make an effort to dress for the job that you want. Keep your outfit modest and conservative with tailored dress pants or a knee-length pencil skirt and blouse with a higher neckline and a classic blazer. A general rule of thumb: dress one step above what would be expected of you on a regular workday.

Step 3: Come prepared.

Make sure to grab extra copies of your résumé, cover letter, and references as well as a notebook and pen to take notes during the interview. Make sure to arrive to your interview about 10 to 15 minutes early and to allow extra time for any type of delay that may occur. Once you are there, turn off your cell phone and hide it away.

Step 4: Make a great first impression.

As soon as you walk into the building, smile and be kind to anyone you meet. When you meet your interviewer, make eye contact and give him or her a firm (but not bone-crushing) handshake. Practice your handshake beforehand with your roommate to make sure that it isn’t too weak or too strong. It’s also important to keep a positive attitude and be enthusiastic about the job you’re interviewing for. Studies have shown that most hiring decisions are made within the first 20 minutes of the interview so it’s important to start off on the right foot.

Step 5: Keep it short and sweet.

When asked a question, keep your answer short and to the point. Thoroughly answer each question with concrete examples that showcase why you are the best candidate for the job but try to avoid rambling.

Step 6: Ask questions.

This is your chance to show off that research you did earlier. Come with a few strong questions in mind and add in any others that come up throughout the interview. Examples of good questions to ask:

·      What excites you about coming into work?

·      How big is the team that I will be working in?

·      Can you describe a typical day for someone in this position?

Step 7: Say thank you.

Say it in person when leaving the interview and send a thank you email as well as a hardcopy thank you note shortly after. This not only reiterates your enthusiasm for the position but it also leaves a lasting impression that sets you apart from other interviewees.

Interviews are always at least a little scary but no matter what questions are thrown your way, be confident and be yourself and there’s no reason why you can’t land your dream internship.

Kara is a junior at UW Madison studying Strategic Communication and Spanish. She enjoys breakfast food, Harry Potter, singing off-pitch and the company of great friends. She aspires to become Queen of the World but if for some reason that doesn't work out she will settle for Advertiser Extraordinaire.
I am currently a sophomore at University of Wisconsin- Madison pursuing a degree in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication.  As Campus Correspondent of Her Campus, Wisconsin chapter I am passionate about current events and can be found browsing any and every article that pops- up on my Facebook newsfeed.