7 Spring Outfits for When It’s Still Cold Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s finally April, and the calendar says winter is officially over, right? Well… maybe not. We are in what feels like an eternal winter; this makes it difficult to transition from heavy sweaters to spring pieces. Well, here are some hacks to perfecting a colorful spring look while staying warm!

1. Cardigan Sweater

A cardigan sweater is the perfect way to stay warm while transitioning into spring. It’s a fantastic layering piece for cute tops that you can’t wear on their own in the cold weather; you can pair it with jeans or patterned bottoms. Go for an oversized sweater for an extra cozy look. There you go, a flair of spring without freezing!

2. Button-down Coat

This is the ideal type of coat to wear when it’s cold out in the spring. It’s especially a great choice for business casual looks. No one wants wear a parka in April, so why not find a trendier and lighter alternative? A coat in solid, neutral tones will not only pair well with bold accessories like jewelry, bags or scarfs, but also pastel-colored outfits. You can step into spring with all the right colors — even if the weather is a bit behind.

3. Knee High Boots

Open-toed shoes are not an option when it’s cold out; boots are the way to go! A pair of knee-high boot adds a touch of sophistication to your outfit. It especially contrasts well with jeans or colored jeggings. They are fun and versatile: you’ll able to dress them up or down. Plus, you don’t have to worry about exposing your ankles to the cold, windy weather!

4. Blanket Scarf

This look is more popular in fall, but unusual times call for innovative solutions! A blanket scarf can be worn in so many different ways: it can be a shawl, scarf or even a belt! It’s always the same pattern and material; but each time you wear it differently, it completely transforms the outfit. Find one that comes in neutral tones, pastels or just spring colors in general. Voila, you’re be good to go.

5. Beanie

Okay, I never would’ve thought that I’d need a winter hat in April; but when it’s cold, it’s cold. A statement beanie can serve as a great accessory for any outfit; it can easily balance a look that incorporates a lighter coat instead of a parka. Plus, it’s an excellent opportunity for adding an accent color to your outfit!

6. Sweatpants

For those of you who are lazy in the morning (myself included), sweatpants should be a staple item in your wardrobe. Think it’s a sloppy look? Think again. You can dress these pants up with a cute top or sweater. They’re versatile, and they help create comfy or athleisure looks. Let’s face it: no matter how hard you try, you can’t help opting for sweatpants when you have to go to an 8 a.m. class. So, why not style them to make it seem like you didn’t wake up 20 minutes before you have to be there?

7. Bright colors!

Just because it’s cold out, doesn’t mean you have to stick to the dark color palette of winter. Freshen up your look by wearing items that are cheery and colorful. Who knows? Maybe they’ll make you forgot about the tundra you’re walking through on your way to class! Anything with a fun pattern (like floral) is a must for spring no matter what the weather is like!

Unfortunately, the winter weather is probably going to stay for a while longer. But, that doesn’t mean you have to stick to only your heavy, bulky parka; you can still easily incorporate elements of spring trends with these clothing hacks. Spring is about renewal, so this is a convenient opportunity to try out new, creative outfits you’d never think you could wear in April! Go ahead,  embrace the feelings of spring while rocking a stylish blend of cozy clothes.

Samantha Zecca

Wisconsin '20

Samantha is currently a junior studying retail and consumer behavior with certificates in entrepreneurship and digital studies. If she's not at the library, you can find her sitting at the memorial union terrace or trying out a new restaurant in Madison. Samantha is originally from New Jersey, but her favorite place to be is NYC going on day adventures either seeing a Broadway show, shopping, or visiting museums. From the midwest to the east coast, she has a lot to share.