7 Reasons You Should Be Paying Attention to Lin-Manuel Miranda

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Even if you’re not you’re familiar with Lin-Manuel Miranda, it’s unlikely that you missed the hype surrounding the debut of his record-breaking musical Hamilton three years ago. While the musical continues to reach new audiences across the country, its creator has been building himself into a cultural icon. Whether you’re a longtime fan of Miranda or you’ve barely heard his name, here are seven reasons you should still be paying attention to this writer, lyricist, actor and activist.

Hamilton continues to tour and sell out

Although the original Broadway run starring Lin-Manuel as Hamilton ended a few years ago, companies have been touring the USA ever since then to more sold-out crowds. The musical is still considered a groundbreaking performance that changed what Broadway will look like for years to come.

If you’re interested in seeing it, Hamilton will be playing at Madison’s own Overture Center from November 19th to December 9th this year.

He’s getting involved in Disney

Even if rap musicals about the founding fathers aren’t your thing, you’re probably familiar with some of Lin-Manuel’s Disney work. He wrote, among other songs, the award-winning “How Far I’ll Go” and catchy “You’re Welcome” for Disney’s Moana. He also penned a song for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and he collaborated’s currently collaborating on new songs for the live-action remake of the The Little Mermaid.

He’s breaking into movies and TV

It’s no longer just Broadway and songwriting for Lin-Manuel Miranda. In 2018, he made his big screen debut, starring alongside Emily Blunt in Disney’s Mary Poppins Returns. He will also be appearing in HBO’s new series His Dark Materials, based off the fantasy book series of the same name.

He could be going for an EGOT

Between Hamilton, Moana, In The Heights and an award-winning song performed at the Tony’s, Lin-Manuel has three of the four qualifications to meet this achievement, which stands for Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony. Currently, all he needs is an Oscar to stand among the elite group of 15 people who have won all four awards.

He’s an activist for causes he cares about

Lin-Manuel has been actively involved on behalf of Puerto Rico, especially in the wake of the disastrous hurricanes that hit in 2017. He met with lawmakers, released a song for the Hispanic Federation and brought a production of Hamilton to Puerto Rico to raise proceeds.

He has an entertaining Twitter feed

If you are a fan, Lin-Manuel’s Twitter feed is a goldmine of announcements, writings and other entertaining posts.. He also wishes his followers good morning and goodnight each day.

I mean, have you seen him freestyle?

On The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, in an obscure episode of How I Met Your Mother, even while playing with puppies on Youtube, Lin-Manuel never fails to pull rhymes out of nowhere.

Far from just a Broadway songwriter, Lin-Manuel Miranda has thrust himself into the spotlight of theater, movies, tv and even activism. In 2016, he was considered one of the Time Magazine’s 100 “Most Influential People in the World,” and this influence will only continue to grow. 

Rachel Betters

Wisconsin '22

Rachel is a junior studying graphic design at UW. In her free time, she loves traveling, writing, and talking about fonts.
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.