7 Reasons Big Schools are the Best Schools

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

‘Tis the season for college selection, a time when high school seniors across the country are choosing where to go to school next fall. A huge part of this decision depends on the size of the school. Here are seven reasons why big schools — especially Wisconsin — are the best schools.

1. Sports

The spirit of game day is something you’ll not get at a smaller school. Even if you’re not a huge sports fan, Saturday (aka game day) will become your favorite day. When you’re jumping around at Camp Randall, you’re not just surrounded by 40,000 strangers, you’re surrounded by 40,000 of your closest friends.

2. Meeting people

There are so many ways to meet people at a big school. Going to a school of 40,000 students can be overwhelming and intimidating, but it also gives you more opportunities to interact with lots of amazing people. There’s a group for everyone. From your dorm floor to thousands of student organizations, it’s almost too easy.

3. More classes and majors

Going to a big school makes switching majors and exploring different subject areas super easy. You may be drawn to a small school for a specific program, but your options could be limited if you end up not liking it. At a larger school, there’s a variety of competitive programs to choose from. If you get through your first semester of calculus and decide math isn’t the way you want to go, you can change your mind without struggling to find a new program to switch into.

4. Greek life

If you’re interested in getting involved in Greek life, a big school is the place to do it because Greek life has a much larger emphasis there. It’s a great way to make the school seem smaller, and it provides opportunities to be social, make connections and be a part of an incredible community.

5. But you don’t HAVE to be in Greek life

Greek life isn’t for everyone, and that’s alright! A big school has a wide variety of people and organizations. Despite what you may hear, you definitely don’t have to be in Greek life to have a social life.

6. Connections

With a large school comes a plethora of alumni located all over the world! Chances are, they’re very passionate about their alma mater. You never know,   one small connection could help you in the future. Once a badger, always a badger.

7. Opportunities for involvement

There are so many opportunities for involvement at a large campus. There’s probably a club for something you’re passionate about; if not, you can always create your own! There are also great opportunities for professional development, volunteering and academic interests. It’s a great way to build your resume, learn and make friends!

No matter who you are or what you’re studying, big schools offer a world of opportunities. Add that to the infectious energy and widespread sense of community, big schools make a compelling argument. I think most students at Wisconsin would agree that a big school truly makes for one of the best experiences you could ask for. The opportunities available to you and the college experience you get are unmatched and unforgettable.