7 Must-Read Memoirs Written by Powerful Women 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

So far in 2018, we’ve seen women all over the U.S. and the world speak their truth about sexual violence; we’ve seen women grace pussyhats while speaking out for what they believe and stand for. We’ve celebrated women’s stories and voices, and we will continue to do so. Here are seven amazing memoirs written by women who have positively impacted women around the globe.

1.  A New Model: What Confidence, Beauty, and Power Really Look Like by Ashley Graham

Ashley Graham is an American plus-size model and an activist for body positivity. The book follows her journey in the modeling industry; it speaks to how ideas about body image are evolving. This book encourages women to recognize their personal beauty and be their most confident selves. 

2. Courage to Soar: A Body in Motion, A Life in Balance by Simone Biles

Four-time Olympic gold medalist and three-time world champion Simone Bile made history as the most decorated American gymnast of all time. Her book gives some insight into her journey of becoming a gymnast and how she never gave up on her dream.

3. Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina by Misty Copeland

Misty Copeland’s book takes you on her journey of becoming the first African-American principal ballerina at the prestigious American Ballet Theatre. She talks about her life as an artist, as well as how she came to embrace her identity as a woman of color to realize her dream of being a ballerina. This is a great memoir about passion, identity and grace for anyone who dares to dream.

4. Fast Girl: A life Spent Running from Madness by Suzy Favor Hamilton

Former UW-Madison runner Suzy Hamilton was also a three-time track and field Olympian. She’s an outstanding runner and sports apparel spokeswoman. However, she also had manic depression and bipolar disorder; she became a high-priced escort in Las Vegas after suffering a misdiagnosis and undergoing a medication that increased her mania. This memoir elicits awareness for mental illnesses, such as bipolar disorder and depression. 

5.  Around the Way Girl: A Memoir by Taraji P. Henson

This book follows actress Tariji Henson’s rise to fame in Hollywood. As a girl from D.C., she refused to give up her dream. Instead, she used the difficult moments in her life as inspiration — both in her life and in the characters she portrays. 

6. I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai

This is a great memoir about how one voice inspired real change in the world. The Taliban shot Yousafzai when she was fifteen. But, she survived and chose to use her voice as a source of advocacy for women’s education. 

7.  What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

This book chronicles Clinton’s personal experiences as the first woman nominated for president by a major party. She not only reveals her thoughts and feelings, she also offers a glimpse into one of this country’s most controversial and unpredictable presidential elections in history.

Women are making history and changing lives worldwide; pick up one of these books to celebrate those accomplishments. These inspirational memoirs are something you shouldn’t miss out on. 

Cynthia Ubah grew up in Maryland. She is attending University of Wisconsin-Madison pursuing International Studies with a certificate in Global Health and East Asian Studies. She hopes to work and live in South Korea for a few years. If you are looking for someone to watch Korean drama with or listen to Kpop, she is your girl. Her interests are God, cooking, hangout with friends, reading books, learning Korean, and fashion. Check out her blog at https://mylifeinthemoments.wixsite.com/mysite .