Career

6 Ways to Make the Most of Your Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Internships aren’t actually as scary as they sound.

Before I started my internship, I hardly knew what an internship was, much less how to take advantage of all the opportunities it would offer me. Now, after a year in this role, I’ve learned a lot about myself, my work ethic and my professional aspirations.

Still confused as to what an internship is? An internship is short-term, professional work experience, usually related to your desired career path. Some internships are paid, while others provide compensation in the form of experience. Internships provide direct, on-the-job learning without locking you into one role for too much time.

Without further ado, here are my tips to make the most out of your internship, whether you’re in one right now or are hoping to land one in the future.

1. Find an internship that excites you

Arguably the most daunting part of the internship process is the application itself. One of the best things about internships, though, is that they’re designed to be learning experiences, often aimed specifically at college students. Unlike applying for jobs that require a year’s worth of experience in the field, a passion for the internship is the most important qualification you can have when applying.

In order to utilize that passion, look for an internship that directly relates to your strengths and interests, career or otherwise. My role as a communications intern, for example, caters to my love of writing and editing, which makes my work both enjoyable and valuable. You’ll get a lot more out of an internship if it’s something you’re passionate about. 

2. Work in person

If it’s possible and makes sense for you in the era of COVID, I recommend making the extra effort to work in the office. Since my internship revolves around writing, I could theoretically work from anywhere, as long as I have my laptop with me. And for the first seven months in my job, I did just that; it certainly gave me a more flexible schedule and provided me with a higher level of comfort considering COVID concerns. However, it felt strange that after working in my position for more than half a year, I still hadn’t met most of my coworkers in person.

When I finally started working in the office, I got to meet new people and chat with them outside of formal emails or Microsoft Teams meetings. Making personal connections with those around me made the work days feel less monotonous.

I’ve also found that I’m more productive when I can physically separate my work and home lives. Even though working from home can have its benefits, in my experience, distractions usually come along with the comfort. Sitting at my desk in the office flips the productivity switch in my mind and allows me to focus in a space that’s dedicated to work (and is less prone to interruptions).

3. Network, network, network

Once you start your internship, Linkedin should become your new best friend. Linkedin is like an extensive resume that allows you to connect with your peers, coworkers, supervisors, and people you may meet on the job. For my internship, I conduct interviews with a lot of different people, meaning I only get to talk with them once rather than seeing them every day in the office. It doesn’t hurt to connect with these people on Linkedin; you never know which connection might land you your dream job in the future. 

4. Take advantage of the opportunities your internship provides

Do you get an employee discount? Take it! Do you have the chance to attend events put on by your organization? Go to them! I’ve said before that internships are all about learning, but there are also benefits outside of hands-on work experience. Events, for example, can be a great way to get to know your coworkers and enjoy all that your internship has to offer. 

5. Don’t be afraid to ask questions

Whether you’re asking for clarification on a project or simply asking your supervisor about their own professional journey, don’t be afraid to ask questions. That’s what internships are for! Your supervisor will be more than happy to help you. Asking questions will help you learn more about the job and determine whether it’s something you can see yourself doing down the line.

6. Accept new challenges, even if you’re nervous

This can be a tricky thing to navigate, since you’re likely taking on your internship in addition to school, extracurriculars, and all the responsibilities that come along with being an adult. It can be easy to remain in a bubble of comfort and avoid any unnecessary stress. However, it’s extremely beneficial to step out of your comfort zone. I was recently assigned my first solo lead on a project, and I found the prospect simultaneously exciting and terrifying. Don’t worry, the excitement will win out, and you’ll be so proud of yourself at the end of it. 

While it might be easier to say no to something you’ve never done before, everyone has to start somewhere. By accepting projects and opportunities that seem intimidating at first, you’ll grow as an individual and an employee, and chances are you’ll have a great new addition to your resume or portfolio at the end of it. 

Hopefully these suggestions have given you the push you needed to apply for that internship that’s caught your eye or the motivation to elevate your current internship experience to the next level. Even if you don’t know what you want to do in the future, your internship will teach you valuable skills that you can take with you into any job. I, for example, have absolutely no idea what I want to do with my life after graduation. But, my internship has made me excited about the prospect of working after college, and I feel confident that my work experience will help me in whatever career I choose.

Abby Synnes

Wisconsin '23

Abby is a senior at UW-Madison studying English and communication sciences and disorders. She is an enthusiast of good books, Taylor Swift, and vanilla lattes.