Style

6 Ways to Stylize Your Professional Wardrobe 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Hmmm choices, choices, choices. Should I wear the navy flats or the black flats? Will I match them with the navy blazer or the black blazer? Have you ever noticed that “professional attire” is usually pretty….blah? Maybe it stems from the generation that came before us. Maybe it comes from the common fear of being too “out there” in the workplace and not wanting any undesired attention or judgment. Whatever the reason…it’s kind of depressing. Who says you can’t be a smart young professional who also enjoys her own sense of style? Here are some ways to liven up your professional wardrobe. 

1. Fun earrings

Fun earrings, or any accessory, can add a hint of color to any outfit. Also depending on how you wear your hair, you can be as subtle or bold as you want to be when showing them off. Plus with the thousands of styles out there, it’s a simple and easy way to show off your personal style. 

2. Fun shoes

It’s basically the earrings concept but for shoes. You can go shiny or matte, flat or high, complementary or contrast colors. You get the idea. 

3. Layering in colors

Pairing together bright colors and neutrals can give your outfit a balanced look that still shows off your style. You can pull this off in a variety of ways, from tops to pants. Life’s too short to not wear what makes you unique. 

4. Colorful overwear

Blake Lively proving she is a QUEEN once again. I know some of these looks are a tad out there, but stay with me. Don’t look at these outfits as a whole, but look at their individual aspects. She shows us professional wear can play with color, texture, print and size.

5. Wear Clothes That Fit You

Be honest with yourself when it’s time to let some clothing items go. Most people can tell when that blazer you’ve had since high school still “kinda” fits. They can also tell when you can’t breathe while sitting in your “work pants” or “interview dress”. You and how you present yourself to the world are worth investing a little bit of money in. Instead of “look good, feel good”, let’s try “feel good, look good”. Comfortable and confident beats fidgeting with rising hemlines any day. 

6. Wear Your Clothes Differently

Where are my Queer Eye fans at? As Tan always preaches, a French tuck can make you appear taller and more put together. Not every piece of clothing is tailored to fit your body perfectly (wouldn’t that be nice, though?). In order to make the best of what you have, you can alter how you carry your clothes on your body. Other ideas include cuffing sleeves, pant legs, adding belts and pinning clothes so that they lay better on your body.

You’ve worked hard for where you’re at right now. You deserve to feel like a boss babe. 

Lauren Ryan

Wisconsin '20

Lauren is a senior double majoring in Marketing and Operations and Technology Management, with a certificate in Supply Chain Management. 
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!